The Photography Short Course
Do you have the basics in photography but really feel you would like to get to grips with some of the technical and aesthetic issues of the medium? This intense two-week course will offer a range of projects for you to explore both on and off site, and includes optional visits to exhibitions.
During the first week of the course you will focus on getting the fundamentals right; there will be technical sessions on the use of film and digital SLRs, as well as larger format cameras, in order to develop an awareness of the essential principles, techniques and picture making skills applicable to both digital and traditional media. Each workshop will be supplemented by a slideshow lecture on historical and contemporary artwork that explore a range of creative approaches, and form the basis for the various assignments and accompanying feedback that will help foster a greater critical awareness.
During the second week of the course you will be encouraged to develop your own ideas and experiment further by using the studio, B&W darkroom or digital facilities. This will include a portrait shoot in the studio and an introduction to traditional and alternative printing processes, such as liquid emulsion and pinhole cameras. Finally, the course concludes with an informal review of everyone's work that offers you the chance to get some valuable feedback and think about how you might progress.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
- Controlling exposure
- Lighting on location
- Composition and creative camera control
- Film development and B&W printing
- Studio lighting and portraiture
- Digital editing workflow and ink-jet printing
- Alternative print processes
Please bring with you to the first session:
- Your camera (either a 35mm film SLR, digital SLR or advanced compact with manual control)
- Instruction manual (if you still have it)
- Notepad and pen.
Printing paper will be supplied at the start of the course. Your tutor will then advise you on the appropriate paper to buy for your individual project, available from local retailers.
IMPORTANT - Adobe ID Login for Short Course Students
Students will need to create an account with Adobe (unless you already have one) in order to access the Adobe suite at the college – instructions are included below. You will need to use a personal email address to create this. If you already have an account with Adobe, please make sure you bring your login details with you on the first day of the course.
- The software will only be accessible when logged into a UAL networked computer
- The same account can be used outside of the University, but software will only be accessible through a personal paid subscription that students will need to set up independently
- You can still create an account on the day but doing this beforehand will save time and avoid delays to the start of the class.
- If you already have an Adobe ID/ subscription you can use this on your short course rather than setting up a new account.
- During this course you will be using Adobe Photoshop. If you do not already have Photoshop, you can sign up for a free 7 day trial of Adobe Creative Cloud. Please note a credit card is required to register for the free trial. The subscription must be cancelled on the date provided by Adobe if you do not wish to continue onto a paid account.
Meet the Tutor:
An intensive photography course that offers a range of projects, in and out of the studio. This course has been designed specifically for students that have the basics in photography but would like to increase their technical and aesthetic knowledge.
- Central Saint Martins
- Telephone +44 (0)20 7514 7015
- Address 1 Granary Square King's Cross London N1C 4AA
college: Central Saint MartinsMake an enquiry
- Sign up to our mailing list
- Central Saint Martins
- Short Courses
- +44 (0)20 7514 7015
- 1 Granary Square
- King's Cross
- N1C 4AA