Set Design for Film and Television Online Short Course
The design element in film and television has always played a major part in any production. The designer's role is crucial to the invention of the world that we see on screen, from the recreation of a specific period in history, authentic present day, or the innovative sculptural design involved in light entertainment, comedy, arts, music or game shows.
Who should take this course?
This course is aimed at beginners who would like to gain knowledge of the processes involved when designing for a production and learn more about the careers available in the art department of films or television.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
You will be introduced to the dynamics involved when designing for a multi-camera television studio environment, resulting in an accurate scale and colour model of a set for a specific show.
We then look at film design, covering script breakdown, character analysis, simple scenery construction, set dressing and location film work.
By the end of the course students will have produced models, ground plans, moodboards and visuals for their portfolio.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please source the following materials:
- Sketch Pad
- A4 Tracing pad
- 10ft tape measure
- HB pencil
- 1:50mm scale ruler (optional)
- Small cutting mat
- Scalpel and 10a surgical blades
- Metal ruler
- Anything which you would like to draw with, such as pens or coloured pencils
Meet the Tutor:
This course is aimed at beginners who would like to gain knowledge of the processes involved when set designing for a production and learn more about the careers available in the art department of films or television.