Fashion Styling and Media Summer School (16-18 Year Olds)
If you're interested in fashion but perhaps not in design, then this two-week hands on intensive fashion media course will introduce you to the exciting worlds of PR, photography, catwalks, fashion journalism, styling and make up-artistry, culminating in the creation of your own editorial and style blog. It's perfect if you're a budding celebrity stylist, fashion journalist or fashion PR.
Topics covered include:
- The different roles of the fashion media: which one is for you
- Analysing and writing press releases: selling the dream
- Catwalk reporting and fashion interview techniques
- Trend spotting and street style writing: who influences and why
- Creating your own fashion blog
- The principles and practice of styling: what goes into making a fashion image
- Editorial make up demos
- Planning and executing your own fashion editorial (professional photographer provided)
- Historical context fashion field trip
The aim of this course is to give you a taster of different elements of the fashion industry, but with concrete outputs to take away and use as the basis for beginning your fashion career.
What are the benefits of attending a Summer School at LCF?
This course will allow you to experiment with new techniques, build confidence, acquire new skills and be inspired to learn more. It's also a great way to meet like-minded friends from around the world. In addition to all your new knowledge and skills, you'll leave the course with:
- Examples of your writing work, including a catwalk report and fashion news story
- An online style blog, including your own street style photos
- A series of images from your own designed and directed editorial (starring yourself as a model!)
Beginners. You should have an interest in the subject area and a desire to learn but no previous experience is required.
Your course place is confirmed once you have booked online or via the phone using a credit or debit card. There is no deadline for booking. Places are offered on a first come, first served basis, and all courses have a maximum number of students. We suggest you book early to avoid disappointment.
Please note: University Halls of Residence accommodation is available for under 18s during the Summer period. The only hall of residence available to under 18s travelling independently is Sketch House. You MUST enter the code Youth when making your booking online. Find out more about short course summer accommodation at UAL.
You may also be interested in:
Suzanne Beirne launched her career at Vivienne Westwood's design studios starting out as an assistant. She developed within the design team overseeing all creative for shoots, look books, exhibitions, installations and window concepts worldwide. Suzanne also consulted for both Prada and Miu Miu. Styling all visual platforms such as windows, exhibitions, showrooms and events - she worked closely with the renowned photographer and stylist, Manuela Pavesi. She has exhibited her work nationally, culminating in selling artworks to the singer Kylie Minogue. Having assisted the art director Simon Costin, Suzanne currently works as a set designer and contributes to international magazines such another, another man, self service, document journal, i-d, under the influence, wonderland and the gentlewoman among others. Commercial clients include Burberry, Topshop, House of Hackney, Ben Sherman and Shrimps.
Mark Kean is a Scottish born photographer based in London. His work is often inspired by characters, a sense of realism and the story behind an image. This sense of narrative is a constant inspiration throughout his work highlighting his film and photography background. His work can be found in titles including I-D, Another Man, Dust and Vogue Japan amongst others.
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please bring the following materials/equipment to the first class:
- Notebook and pen
- Camera/phone with download lead/card reader
- Clothes, shoes and accessories you might want to wear/loan to others for your shoot
- Most make-up will be provided for your photo shoot, but please bring your own foundation and mascara, plus make up remover/wipes and headband
- USB stick (at least 8GB) to save work and images