Denim Jean Workshop
On this denim jean workshop you will get the opportunity to cut and sew a selvedge jean, with step by step instructions. You will cover true 1930s and 1950s construction with added features including: a continuous fly, clean construction, single needle felled seams as well as constructing garments without any overlocking.
This course includes:
• 5 pocket selvedge jean construction
• Chalking out - cutting out a jean - layplan - using the selvedge in a special way
• Making a jean: front pocket bags, pocket bearer, attaching to front panels
• Key hole button for the continuous one piece fly, attaching the fly, run and fell crouch seam, back panels, attaching the yoke - felled seams
• Attaching back pockets - concealed rivets
• Felling the back panels
• Felling inseam, sewing up the selvage seam, side seam safety stitch, attaching the waistband (with tailored belt loops), top waistband button hole, attaching leather patch - in a continuous stitch.
• Attaching buttons, hemming the jean
Advanced. Experienced to the level of our Professional Sewing Techniques course.
You may also be interested in our Understanding Denim course.
This course is for students aged 18 and older.
Your course place is confirmed once you have booked online or via the phone using a credit or debit card. There is no deadline for booking. Places are offered on a first come, first served basis, and all courses have a maximum number of students. We suggest you book early to avoid disappointment.
Mohsin Said is a highly accomplished denim specialist, acclaimed pattern cutter and ergonomic tailor. He has worked for some of the best denim and apparel fashion companies in the global industry for the last 16 years. Starting his career at Oki-ni, he designed for Levi’s Japan, Levi’s Europe, Evisu, and Aquascutum. He then consulted for several prestigious brands from: Edwin Europe, Pringle of Scotland, John Richmond, Puma AG, Ducati, DKNY JEANS, Timberland, Abercrombie & Fitch, Vivienne Westwood and Jil Sander.
Mohsin has a keen interest in raising the next generation of denim designers reflecting in his role as MA denim lecturer at The Royal College of Art, and BA denim lecturer at Westminster, Ravensboune and London College of Fashion - Mohsin is also lead denim lecturer at The Denim School of Milan.
Mohsin is also a vintage denim machine specialist and vintage denim collector amassing an archive of around 1000 vintage garments. Since 2012 Mohsin established his own ENDRIME Denim workshop, and consultancy based in West Sussex, UK. He is currently writing his first book on denim manufacturing processes; a comprehensive textbook from 1870 to modern ergonomic denim of today, which he hopes to complete in 2019.
Please bring to the class:
- Tailored tracing chalk / chalk pencils
- Sewing pins
- Good fabric scissors (large and small)
- Denim buttons and rivets
The following will be provided for you as part of the course:
- Three metres of selvedge denim
- Needle for the lockstitch machines
- 1/2 metre of pocketing fabric
- Two different colours of thick thread