Pattern Cutting for Made to Measure Short Course
This made to measure pattern cutting course will provide you with a chance to study the core skills involved in pattern cutting for womenswear, using your own body measurements. This method is used for couture and bespoke garments, usually designed and produced for individual clients.
You'll study the basics of custom-fit block making, creating a personalised bodice (and one-piece sleeve block - time permitting). Working at your own pace, you’ll then make your pattern into a toile, and learn how to fit the toile to the body, adapting the pattern accordingly. You'll leave us with a personalised bodice and sleeve block, ready to draft into patterns that will have a perfect fit - unique to your body.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
This course is scheduled to run on campus in a face to face delivery format. Please note that due to the ongoing pandemic situation this course may be adapted in line with UK government guidance or other operational requirements. This may include changing course location (to another UAL site), cancellation of the course, or moving part or all of the course online. In the event of any changes being required we will inform you as soon as possible and support you in any changes required. Please bear this in mind when making any travel, visa, or accommodation arrangements.
- Cutting room kit and terminology
- Measuring and compiling size charts
- Customising for a bespoke fit
- Working-pattern drafting and annotation
- Understanding fitting procedures
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please bring the following materials/equipment to the first class:
- Graders set square
- 2H and 2B pencil or automatic pencil
- Soft eraser
- Pattern master or Shoben fashion curve
- Measuring tape (with both imperial and metric measurements)
- Scotch tape and tracing wheel
- Fabric Shears
- Paper scissors
- 15cm ruler
- Dressmaking pins
Please note: on the first day of the course you will work in pairs and take your partner's body measurements. Please wear a fitted top as this will allow for more accurate measurements.
Meet the Tutor:
This introductory customised pattern cutting and fitting course will provide you with a chance to study the core skills involved in pattern cutting for womenswear, using your own body measurements.