Introduction to Fashion Design Online Short Course
Have you ever wondered what a fashion designer actually does, whether it is the right career for you, or how designers come up with a fresh collection every season? This introductory course was specifically designed with the beginner in mind. It will guide you through the fashion design process. You will work from a set brief through an extensive research process to generate and develop ideas for fashion.
By the end of this course you will have developed a good understanding of the design process for fashion. You will have the tools necessary to communicate your ideas and to begin developing a portfolio for application for further study in fashion. It will give you a clearer idea of whether the work of a fashion designer, or some other role in this diverse and vibrant industry, is for you.
Both Menswear & Womenswear are covered.
Who should take this course?
- absolute beginners
- business start-ups
- experienced students looking to refresh their design practice.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
- design briefing (setting up a project)
- new research methods for designers
- colour palette and texture sourcing workshop
- figure drawing workshop
- multiple design exercises (collage-detail placement-negative)
- preliminary design development workshop
- sketchbook development
- runway review (deconstructing a designers collection)
- individual advice, diagnostics and portfolio review (next steps in fashion)
- guidance on developing a personal design ‘language’
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
- HB Pencil-Pen-Rubber
- A5 Note Pad
- 5 cash for Research Photocopying
- USB memory stick (Min 8GB)
- Colour (any) pencils-Pens or Pastels
- (A4) Portrait or (A3) Landscape Sketchbook (white paper)
- (A4) Layout Pad
- HB Retractable Pencil
- Black 0.1 and 0.5 Fine Line Pens
- Letraset Pro-Markers: 1 x ivory & 1 x cool grey no1
- Small paper scissors
- Paper glue
- 1cm Masking Tape
- Camera or Smartphone (for research only, high quality not necessary)
Please source the following materials:
Meet the Tutor:
This inspirational and practical fashion design course will immerse you in the world of the fashion designer and will help you understand how they undertake the fashion design process. We will introduce you to the principles of fashion design and fashion drawing and show you how to develop your ideas from extensive research.