Fashion Journalism Online Short Course
If “Fashion” is a pile of cocoa beans… fashion journalists turn it into chocolate. Fashion journalism is about bringing clothing to life, zooming out and putting style in a cultural context; inspiring and informing your reader and figuring out where Fashion might be heading next. The world of fashion journalism is an exciting, fast paced and ever changing profession that can be difficult to break into. In this introductory fashion journalism course you will learn the basics to get your started with your career as a fashion writer.
You will learn about the history of the fashion media, how the internet is impacting on traditional print journalism and how to develop good writing technique. Each week you will be set a brief and asked to write a piece – which you will be given individual written feedback on. If you meet your weekly deadlines you will watch your writing skills improve, and begin to develop your own unique journalistic voice.
This fashion journalism course is aimed at beginners and those seeking to enhance their general knowledge. Do you see yourself as the next Tim Blanks or Susie Bubble? Well, this is the place to start.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please have the following materials/equipment for the first class:
- Notepad and pen
In addition to the materials listed above, you will need:
- A recent computer with a recent operating system
- An up-to-date web browser. (It would be advisable to ensure you have access to two separate web browsers eg Safari and Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome and Internet Explorer)
- Microphone (a headset with microphone/headphones is recommended)
Finally, a good broadband connection is also recommended. (Mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle might not provide sufficient bandwidth).
- History of fashion and lifestyle publishing.
- Online versus print.
- What makes a good journalist?
- Understanding your reader.
- What is Fashion News, and how do you write it?
- Working with PR.
- The pieces every fashion journalist must perfect.
- Interviewing tips and technique.
- Trends: What are they, how do we spot them, and can we predict them?
- Feature writing.
- Pitching to editors, work experience and what happens next.
Meet the Tutor:
This online Fashion Journalism short course develops your writing skills for the fashion industry. You will learn practical skills such as PR, pitching and online vs. print. This course will help you take your career the next level.