Buying and Merchandising for Lingerie and Swimwear Online Short Course
The lingerie and swimwear category of the fashion retail industry has been growing quickly in recent years, and will see further growth as consumers are now looking for brands that suit their specific requirements.
Both product types are highly technical yet fashionable, and they present buyers and merchandisers with unique challenges: they must work with specialist manufacturers and fabrics and components, know how to ensure fit and functionality, and know how to plan for the category's seasons and trends.
If you work in fashion retail and want to improve your understanding of this exciting category, this course will give you an insight into how buying teams work to develop collections that fit and support yet look great. You will learn how brands are researched, from wide appeal brands to smaller niche brands. We will cover the importance of fit and working with suitable manufacturers, and touch on costs and pricing. You will also gain an understanding of the role of the merchandiser in planning and sizing.
Each week you will learn through lively class discussions, presentations and case studies. The focus will be on developing your practical skills, and you will be given weekly assignments to complete and will receive personal feedback from your tutor.
By the end of the course you will have an understanding of;
- How the Lingerie and Swimwear market differs from the rest of the industry.
- The day to day work life of a lingerie or swimwear Buyer.
- Hints and tips to help build a successful career in the industry.
- The impact of fashion trends for swimwear and lingerie.
- The importance of fit and function.
- How to conduct competitive shopping S.W.O.T analysis.
- How to create a brand concept.
- How to plan a range, including pricing structures.
Who is Buying and Merchandising for Lingerie and Swimwear Online Short Course for?
This course is ideal for buyers and merchandisers who want to work more effectively with these product categories, or for designers or retail entrepreneurs who want an insight into this part of the fashion retail industry.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain in easy to understand accessible English, if they use any special terminology we make sure they explain what it is they mean.
- New methodologies will be explained to you in a way that’s crystal clear and easy to understand.
- We even include live demonstrations of particular techniques so that you can see exactly how things should be done.
- We also offer a bunch of learning resources for you to access outside of the live lessons. This allows you to ensure you are up to date and you can practice and review the things that are important to you. Practice makes perfect after all!
Live interactive classrooms:
- We like to do things the right way, that's why all of our online classes are live, you won't find any recordings here (well apart from the recording we provide in case you miss a live session)
- Expect live interaction with your classmates from around the world, our students come from far and wide
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Discuss topics related to your course in real time via your microphone and camera or if you're not feeling brave, in the chat box
- Miss a class? Thats ok you can catch up in a recording which is available for 2 weeks after your course runs
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- However we always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are a great addition to your CV.
All our online short courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes as our face to face courses
- Lesson recordings, for review, so you never have to miss a class
- Access to the virtual learning environment with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access to the recordings of the live classroom sessions
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
- Notepad and pen for note taking
- How to research and understand your customer.
- How fashion trends influence collections.
- Creating a brand that stands out from the crowd.
- Planning a collection.
- Importance of fit and function.
- Range building.
- Costs and pricing.
- Working with manufacturers.
- The role of the merchandiser in planning and trading.
- How the industry is evolving.
- Industry overview and career advice.
Meet the Tutor:
This online course is an introduction to buying for the swimwear and lingerie product categories. You'll learn the retail management skills necessary to trade these products profitably.