Graphic Design Experience Industry Short Course
Graphic Design - Experience Industry will introduce you to the essential skills required to fulfil a professional design brief. Taught by industry experts, you will have the opportunity to work on a commercial graphic design brief.Your tutor will share their tips and experiences from working in the world of art, design and visual communication, and will offer clear guidance to help you improve your projects.
This course focuses on conceptual development and ideas; you'll be encouraged to think laterally and develop work that demonstrates design skills that are both individual and distinctive.You will experiment with photography, collage and illustration in your approach whilst also developing and practising your presentation skills. You'll utilise simple drawing and rough work to generate ideas quickly and gain confidence to express them clearly.You will be advised about design software, and which programs would be appropriate to finalise ideas; computer use is; however, optional on this course. Off-site field trips or research visits may also be included.
You will be more confident about responding to real-life graphic design briefs and applying for graphic design roles. You'll improve your decision making process and will increase your ability to present ideas and concepts effectively. You will leave with strong projects to add your design portfolio that will show your visual thinking, individuality and skills.
Who should attend
This course is for those with some prior graphic design training, wishing to develop their professional practice. Maybe you're working in industry with little or no formal design training and want to develop your creativity and confidence? Perhaps you feel a little bored with your usual type of design work and need a change? Alternatively, you may be applying for further studies including postgraduate courses in Graphic Design or Advertising? Level Intermediate/Advanced
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to complement your cv.
This course is scheduled to run on campus in a face-to-face delivery format. Please note that due to the ongoing pandemic situation this course may be adapted in line with UK government guidance or other operational requirements. This may include changing course location (to another UAL site), cancellation of the course, or moving part or all of the course online. In the event of any changes being required we will inform you as soon as possible and support you in any changes required. Please bear this in mind when making any travel, visa, or accommodation arrangements.
Topics covered will include:
Use of Colour and Type
NB: disciplines will vary, based on your tutor’s professional experience.
Please bring the following materials with you on the first day:
Notepad and pen
If you have little or no previous experience of using design software, you may benefit from familiarising with these through the tutorials on the Adobe Creative Cloud website.
As part of your research you may wish to do some printing. Please bring a small amount of cash to the course on your first day to credit your printing account.
Please note that most materials needed for the short courses are available at the Chelsea College of Arts' Art Shop. Please contact the Art Shop directly for opening hours and availability.
Meet the Tutor:
Graphic Design - Experience Industry will introduce you to the essential skills required to fulfil a professional design brief. Taught by industry experts, you will have the opportunity to work on a commercial graphic design brief.