Introduction To Packaging Design Online Short Course
In this beginner's short course you will discover what makes packaging design such a vibrant, energetic and buoyant field of the design industry.
Packaging plays a vital role in forming part of a brands personality, the packaging is often a brands first point of contact with the consumer so it is the vehicle upon which a brand communicates its message. The course focuses on structural ideas, surface graphics and communication and is not a packaging technology course.
This course aims to give you a comprehensive insight into the packaging design process from initial research to developing brand concepts and the brand personality, through to the design concept, mock ups and presentation. The course will consist of one project taken through each of the following stages to presentation with supporting examples and exercises to highlight each area.
Who should take the course
This course is suitable for those with an interest in design and the world of packaging and branding. Anyone wanting to create and package a brand of their own.
By the end of the course you will have learnt the design process used to create relevant packaging solutions for the right market. You will also understand how to visualise and present your ideas.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain in easy to understand accessible English, if they use any special terminology we make sure they explain what it is they mean.
- New methodologies will be explained to you in a way that’s crystal clear and easy to understand.
- We even include live demonstrations of particular techniques so that you can see exactly how things should be done.
- We also offer a bunch of learning resources for you to access outside of the live lessons. This allows you to ensure you are up to date and you can practice and review the things that are important to you. Practice makes perfect after all!
Live interactive classrooms:
- We like to do things the right way, that's why all of our online classes are live, you won't find any recordings here (well apart from the recording we provide in case you miss a live session)
- Expect live interaction with your classmates from around the world, our students come from far and wide
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Discuss topics related to your course in real time via your microphone and camera or if you're not feeling brave, in the chat box
- Miss a class? Thats ok you can catch up in a recording which is available for 2 weeks after your course runs
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- However we always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are a great addition to your CV.
All our online short courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes as our face to face courses
- Lesson recordings, for review, so you never have to miss a class
- Access to the virtual learning environment with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access to the recordings of the live classroom sessions
- Understanding the brief
- Target market
- Retail environment
- Category cues
- Point of difference
- Materials and print techniques
- Pacing and coding
- Typography and front of pack layout
- 3D mock ups
Please ensure you have the following materials to hand.
- Black ink pen
- Coloured markers, pens, pencils, paints or whatever medium you prefer
- Sketchbook (A3 or A4 size)
- Cutting mat
- Sticky tape
NB. You are welcome to use any graphic design software you are comfortable working with or to complete your projects working with hand tools.
The tech requirements:
- A recent computer with a recent operating system
- An up-to-date web browser. (It would be advisable to ensure you have access to two separate web browsers, we recommend Safari and Google Chrome)
- A headset with microphone/headphones is recommended
Meet the Tutor:
In this beginner's online short course you will discover what makes packaging design such a vibrant, energetic and buoyant field of the design industry.