How to Promote and Fund Your Work as an Artist Online Short Course
The contemporary cultural landscape is ever-changing. There are many avenues for independent artists to forge a successful and lucrative career. This course will teach you how to make the most of artistic opportunities in the traditional art world and beyond.
On this course you will learn how to showcase and sell your work, organise and present your studio professionally and pitch and negotiate corporate commissions. You will learn how to market your artwork, find funding and organise a live exhibition of your work. You will also be introduced to presenting at an art fair, running a successful crowd-funding campaign and developing your online presence.
In weekly online classes you will develop a structured schedule of promotion objectives for the year ahead and create your own toolkit of marketing and management materials. You will have live discussions each week followed by practical tasks which allow you to develop your skills and apply new knowledge.
By the end of this course, you will have a better understanding of how to promote and fund your artwork. Covering, strategy, logistics, marketing, social media and networking, this course is perfect for artists who want to take their career that step further by learning how to find commercial success in the competitive art world.
Who is How To Promote And Fund Your Work As An Artist Online Short Course for?
This course is designed for artists wishing to convert their studio practice into a successful commercial business. It is aimed at creatives working in visual arts, however, this course also provides a good foundation for anyone wishing to successfully promote themselves and find opportunities in the creative world.
By the end of the course you will be able to;
- Understand the structures of and opportunities within the traditional contemporary art world
- Understand additional opportunities, such as artist-led art fairs and group shows
- Understand corporate commissions and crowd-funding
- Develop a toolkit of studio management materials
- Develop a toolkit of marketing materials
- Create a yearlong plan of objectives with an understanding of how to achieve these goals
- Understand the process and best practice for participating in an art fair or exhibition
- Present your studio in a professional way for open studios and gallery visits
- Present your work online in a professional way - via social media and online galleries
- Develop a pitch for corporate commissions
- Develop and focus your portfolio
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please source the following materials:
- notebook and pen
- promotional material from an exhibition that has inspired you (this can include a link to a website).
- The traditional art world: galleries, schools, auction houses
- Opportunities for artists: residencies, funding, competitions
- Participation, presentation and organisation of live events: open studios; groups shows; art fair; exhibitions
- Practical toolkit for studio management
- Marketing, social media and PR
- Online sales platforms
- Pitching and negotiating corporate commissions and sponsorship
- Crowd-funding platforms and running a successful crowd-funding campaign
- Artist communities and spaces
- Showcasing and selling your work
- Organising and presenting your studio professionally
- Developing your online presence
Meet the Tutor:
This course will teach you how to make the most of artistic opportunities in the traditional art world and beyond. You will learn how to showcase and sell your work, present your studio professionally and pitch and negotiate corporate commissions.