Jewellery Making With Plastic And Metal Short Course
This course explores the use of several different types of plastics and the ways in which they can be combined with metal to create contemporary and colourful jewellery. We will make jewellery using three different methods of incorporating cast resin into silver and compare that with using sheet materials. You will learn some basic jewellery making techniques and technical support will be provided to help you realise your ideas. We will look at how internationally renowned studio jewellers use plastic in experimental ways and information will be given on sourcing materials, including more sustainable plastic options.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
This course is scheduled to run on campus in a face to face delivery format. Please note that due to the ongoing pandemic situation this course may be adapted in line with UK government guidance or other operational requirements. This may include changing course location (to another UAL site), cancellation of the course, or moving part or all of the course online. In the event of any changes being required we will inform you as soon as possible and support you in any changes required. Please bear this in mind when making any travel, visa, or accommodation arrangements.
You will learn to carve an original design in jewellery wax from which a simple silicone mould is made, allowing you to cast your own reproductions of the object in resin using a range of beautiful opaque and transparent colours.
There will be plenty of time to experiment with embedding objects into the resin and to cast resin into pre-made moulds.
Some of the projects that you will make include a ring and pendant.
You will learn basic jewellery making techniques such as cutting, filing, soldering and polishing to make silver pieces to combine with resin, and also to create pieces from sheet acrylic.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- An apron
- Sensible footwear ie. no 'open toe' sandals
- Hair band (if you have long hair).
Meet the Tutor:
This course explores the use of plastics and how they can be combined with metal to create contemporary and colourful jewellery. You'll learn basic jewellery making techniques and will be given metals and several types of plastics to work with.