Introduction to Jewellery Design Online Short Course
Since the beginning of civilisation, people have used bespoke jewellery to define themselves and their beliefs, their friendships, family and bonds. Bespoke jewellery is a highly decorative art form, sculpting precious metals into innovative and meaningful designs. As a jewellery designer, how do you harness your creative process to produce pieces with originality and significance?
This online short course will show you how to design your own jewellery collection, from idea generation, through problem solving to completed hand rendered 2D design. The course is highly practical, and each week you will meet with a small group of like-minded students in our online classroom, for demonstrations, mini-lectures, and Q&You’ll become acquainted with technical knowledge and skills that are essential for aspiring jewellery designers.
You’ll be guided through the design process including how to conduct visual research, sketching and rendering skills, and also technical drawing for your finished designs. how to sketch and draw accurately (gem evaluation while utilising a range of techniques when designing your own pieces. By the end of the course you will have produced a body of work which can contribute to your portfolio or be developed into finished pieces of jewellery.
By the end of the course you will have;
- Drawing techniques specific to presenting a 3D object in 2D
- Sourced and conducted different types of visual research
- Gained confidence in hands-on jewellery design and rendering
- Used a range of painting and drawing techniques to create original jewellery
- Gained a better understanding of how to develop a jewellery design from an initial idea through to a finished concept
- Produced a body of work that will contribute to a portfolio that can be used for
the industry or to enter into further study
- Developed a jewellery concept you could pitch to a client
- Received personalised feedback from your tutor, an industry specialist
Who is Introduction to Jewellery Design Online Short Course for?
This online short course, complete with online classroom and chat forum is perfect for individuals new to jewellery design. A chance to expand your portfolio through product design, while learning how to render, cost and market your pieces to a professional level.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
To fully participate in and to complete the course assignments, please make sure you have the following equipment;
- Notepad and pen
- Pencils, sketchbook or paper, eraser, ruler, etc.
- Software to prepare assignments - Powerpoint, Word, Photoshop, etc.
In addition to the materials listed above, you will need;
- A desktop computer or laptop (tablets and phones can be used but some functionality will be limited)
- An up-to-date version of Google Chrome
- A fast and reliable internet connection - a minimum of 1Mbps is required. You can check your network here - speedtest.net
You can find out more about our live classroom software here - Blackboard Collaborate
- Trends within current and historical jewellery design
- Visual research and where to look for inspiration
- Reviewing museums, libraries and galleries
- Interpreting images through mood boards
- Sketching - greyscale and texture
- Demonstrating an awareness of light
- Matt vs. polished surfaces
- Colour theory and matching: hues, intensity, shade
- Rendering shapes for gold, silver and platinum
- Cabochon cut gemstones
- Perspective technical drawing
- Responding to and writing a design brief
- Model making
- Designing a box ring
- Costing your designs
Meet the Tutor:
This online short course is an introduction to jewellery design. You'll study trends and ways of working within the practice prior to designing and costing your own pieces.