Skip to main content

19+ Advanced Learner Loans Bursary Fund

We are pleased to offer a number of bursaries to assist Foundation Diploma in Art and Design students aged 19 or over.


To be eligible for 19+ Advanced Learner Loan Bursary Fund, students must be:

  • Considered Home or EU fee status
  • Studying on a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design course which starts in October 2020
  • Aged 19 or over on 31 August 2020


The 19+ Advanced Learner Loan Bursary Fund is provided by the Government, via the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA). By following general rules set by the ESFA, we are able to consider applicants under the following three categories:

Hardship support

This provides assistance for specific costs that you incur during your studies including:

  • Course-related costs
  • Travel costs (students have to provide evidence of one weekly travel card purchase)
  • Equipment - response to Covid-19 for students who do not have a suitable device to complete course work
  • Support with domestic and one-off emergency such as e.g. redundancy, bereavement, debt management

Residential support

A contribution towards the cost of accommodation for any student who moves away from home in order to study at UAL. Payments will be made directly to the accommodation provider and not the student.


This is a contribution to childcare costs for students over the age of 20.


Applications are now open for 2020-2021 academic year.

Student can apply online through the Student Portal.

Eligible students will also be contacted by email with an invitation to apply and will receive a decision by email within 28 days of receiving complete applications an supporting documents.

The 19+ Advanced Learner Loan Bursary Fund is now open for applications until 1 June 2020.

For students applying for childcare, please download the childcare provider form which needs to be completed by your childcare provider:

Applications can be made where household income exceeds £25,000 per annum and evidence of financial hardship can be demonstrated. Supporting evidence will be necessary to fully assess the application and to determine the level of support available. Applications will be forwarded to a panel for consideration.

Receiving payment

Successful applicants must be enrolled on the course before receiving payment.

Payment will be made in two instalments if the application is successful.


If you need help, please fill out this form.

Scholarships Search

UAL offers a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and awards provided through generous donations from individuals, companies and philanthropic charities, as well as from University funds.

Use our Scholarships Search to find out what you might be eligible for.