Each library offers photocopiers, printers and scanners that copy, print and scan in black and white or colour, to A4 and A3 sizes.
UAL also holds a licence with The Copyright Licensing Agency Ltd (CLA) that permits the photocopying, scanning and re-use of limited extracts from copyright protected books, journals, magazines and other periodicals published in printed form.
For information about UAL Print, the university print service, visit Computers and Printing.
Copying and printing charges
- A4 black and white 4p
- A3 black and white 8p
- A4 colour 15p
- A3 colour 24p
Scanning and copying
Full details about UAL's Copyright Licensing Agency licence are posted above the photocopiers in each Library.
Reprographics services (binding, laminating and bulk copying services) are offered outside the libraries at:
- London College of Communication
- London College of Fashion
CLA HE Licence and the Scans for Teaching Service
UAL holds a licence with The Copyright Licensing Agency Ltd (CLA) that permits the photocopying, scanning and re-use of limited extracts from copyright protected books, journal, magazines and other periodicals published in printed form. Full licence details are posted above the photocopiers in each Library.
The Scans for Teaching service operates in compliance with the CLA HE Licence and allows academic staff at UAL to request and legally use digital copies of copyright materials in their teaching and provide students with accessible course materials via UAL’s Virtual Learning Platform, Moodle. To comply with the licence, all requests for scan are subject to specific conditions and reporting requirements.
Detailed guidance on how the service operates has been developed for academic staff in order to ensure that the University remains copyright compliant under the terms of the CLA’s Higher Education Licence. Please read this guidance fully before making a request in order to avoid unfulfilled requests. Digital Copyright for Academic Staff (PDF133KB)
Library Services, Legal Affairs and the Teaching and Learning Exchange are partners with academic staff to embed these processes into academic practice. For more information and support on copyright compliance under the terms of the licence, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Avoid breaching copyright
Read the University guidance on Academic Misconduct.
Cite Them Right Online is UAL's approved online tool for Harvard referencing.
- British Copyright Council
- The Copyright Licensing Agency - UK collective licensing for print and digital publications on behalf of the copyright owners - authors, publishers and visual artists.
- Creative Commons - Share and use creative works via free legal tools.
- The Information Commissioner's Office - independent authority set up to uphold information rights in the public interest.
- Intellectual Property Office - government body responsible for intellectual property (IP) rights.
- The UK Copyright Service - Information about copyright and intellectual property. Register your work online.
Visual arts and recording rights
- The Design and Artists Copyright Society - a not-for-profit visual arts rights management organisation.
- Educational Recording Agency - The ERA licenses users to record off air radio and television broadcasts for educational use. Please note that UAL Library Services now subscribes to Bob National, an off-air recording and media archive service.