Printing and copying
Each library offers photocopiers, printers, and scanners that copy, print and scan in black and white or colour, to A4 and A3 sizes.
UAL also holds a licence with The Copyright Licensing Agency Ltd (CLA) that permits the photocopying, scanning and re-use of limited extracts from copyright protected books, journals, magazines and other periodicals published in printed form.
For information about UAL Print, the university print service, visit Computers and Printing.
Copying and printing charges
- A4 black and white 4p
- A3 black and white 8p
- A4 colour 15p
- A3 colour 24p
Scanning and copying
Full details about UAL's Copyright Licensing Agency licence are posted above the photocopiers in each Library.
Reprographics services (binding, laminating and bulk copying services) are offered outside the libraries at:
- London College of Communication
- London College of Fashion
Photocopying for commercial purposes
The CLA Library Licence Scheme provides a simple way to make lawful photocopies of copyright materials for commercial purposes without seeking permission directly from the copyright owner in each case. Information on copy allowance and what works/publishers are excluded, can be obtained at the Library Information Desk. Each licence currently costs £24 (£20 + VAT).
CLA License advice and support
UAL holds a licence with The Copyright Licensing Agency Ltd (CLA) that permits the photocopying, scanning and re-use of limited extracts from copyright protected books, journal, magazines and other periodicals published in printed form. Full details are posted above the photocopiers in each Library.
Copyright guidance for academic staff has been developed to ensure that the University remains copyright compliant under the terms of the CLA’s Higher Education Licence for photocopying and scanning. Library Services, Legal Affairs and the Teaching and Learning Exchange are partners with academic staff to embed these processes into academic practice.
For more information and support on copyright compliance under the terms of the licence, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- British Copyright Council
- The Copyright Licensing Agency - UK collective licensing for print and digital publications on behalf of the copyright owners - authors, publishers and visual artists.
- Creative Commons - Share and use creative works via free legal tools.
- The Information Commissioner's Office - independent authority set up to uphold information rights in the public interest.
- Intellectual Property Office - government body responsible for intellectual property (IP) rights.
- The UK Copyright Service - Information about copyright and intellectual property. Register your work online.
Visual arts and recording rights
- The Design and Artists Copyright Society - a not-for-profit visual arts rights management organisation.
- Educational Recording Agency - The ERA licenses users to record off air radio and television broadcasts for educational use. Please note that UAL Library Services now subscribes to Bob National, an off-air recording and media archive service.