BiographyMelanie Bowles is a Senior Lecturer at Chelsea College of Art on the BA Hone Textile degree.
She is a practising textile designer and educationalist with the focus on creating educational material through step by step graphics to make textile design accessible and inclusive for all. She has co-authored best selling book 'Digital Textile Design' publisher Laurence King and Print, Make, Wear publisher Laurence King. Both book aimed towards education provide inspirational material and hands on 'how to' material.
Her research focuses on bringing communities together to co-create and participate in textiles as a form of making.
In 2005 she co-founded The People’s Print with Dr Emma Neuberg a social textile community project. Collaboration include the V&A Museum, The Princes Trust, Contrado and The Crafts Council. Melanie’s work develops practice and research based strategies to involve the consumer to be at the center of the design process using methods of co-design, participatory design and social network communities.
Melanie’s work explores new concepts for digital textile design, developing systems for emotionally durable and sustainable design through bespoke digital print. Melanie works on projects which involve the consumer throughout the design and production process, to create heritage textile prints that reflect their character and environment. She maps the production of the final garment using sustainable methods of production by using local resources and new technology. Melanie has exhibited her work internationally with the Craft Council, The Science Museum, and Tilberg Textile Museum.
In 2018 she has co-founded Stitch-School with Aimee Betts promoting the benefits of embroidery through beautifully designed kits, workshops and community events. Their clients include Facebook, The Barbican, Marie Curie, Dulwich Picture Gallery, Time Out, Craft Central and The Good Life Festival.
- Bowles M, Kelly A. Slow Grow (2016)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Bowles M, Neuberg E. The People's Print Fabric Festival Factory (2015)
- Bowles M, Neuberg E. Make Shift Do - Animated Digital Print Identities - Crafts Council (2015)
- Bowles M. Digital Textile Design from Catwalk to Consumer (2013)
- Bowles M, Round K. Smorgasboard - Textile Toolbox (2015)
- Bowles M. The Paintbrush Floral - Melanie Bowles & The People's Print (2014)
- Round K, Bowles M. Trash fashion: designing out waste (2010)
- Bowles M. Ever and Again, Rethinking Recycled Textiles (2007)
- Bowles M. Origins Crafts Council Exhibition (2007)
- Bowles M. Pixel Couture, Textile Collection (2005)