BiographyMaureen is a Senior Lecturer for the Design School at the London College of Communication where she teaches professional practice. Maureen teaches across UAL, co-leads the Business Models and Finance unit for the MA Arts and Cultural Enterprise at Central Saint Martins, and the Leadership and Human Resources Skills unit of the EMBA (Fashion) for the London College of Fashion. Maureen was Course Co-leader for the BA (Hons) Design Management and Culture, 2015-201. She led CTS Creative Entrepreneurship option in 2016/17. She has extensive experience of working with industry including relationship with M&C Saatchi, Pullman Hotel St Prancas, Paris College of Art, NUMA Paris, British Library Business & IP Centre, Creative Industries Federation, Sadler’s Wells, Ambassador Theatre Group, d237 Boutique.
Researcher for the Creative Lenses project, funded by project.
Maureen contributes to UAL’s Creative Entrepreneurship Community of Practice; Business, Management and Science Subject Forum and Race Diversity Champion Forum.
Maureen is the Founder of Freshwaters Consultancy - an agency which h offers fresh thinking, new ideas, perspectives and approaches to helping individuals and organisations create sustainable futures. She designs, develops and delivers programmes in leadership, entrepreneurship, professional practice. and strategic development.
She has worked in Africa, Brazil, the Caribbean, China, Europe, Hong Kong, India and the USA.
Clients included Heritage Lottery Fund, UAL Short Courses, Arts Council England, Museums Association, National Cultural Foundation Barbados, Walters and Cohen Architects, H2Dance, Strong Dance, Association of Dance of the African Diaspora, Graham Mortimer Evelyn
Maureen is visiting lecturer at the University of the West Indies and International School of Management Group in Senegal.
Prior to creating Freshwaters, Maureen held a number of senior cultural management positions including Executive Director for the Black MBA Association (UK) and Director of Strategic Development for Talent & Skills 2000, a creative industries employability project for young people. She was a ‘European Union of Women of Achievement Award’ finalist for Pan European for understanding and being an inspiration to others.
Maureen’s multi-disciplinary research is practice-based, action-based and collaborative. She is interested in how practice-led research contributes to new knowledge, enriches professional industry practice, teaching, and learning. Her practice-led research is fueled by her industry experience in the cultural creative industries, professional and business education in an international arena
Arts and cultural industries, leadership, professional practice, reflective practice, social value, social innovation, entrepreneurship, emotional intelligence, work-based learning, intercultural practice, cultural diversity, business model and dance.
- Salmon M. Covid-19! Impact on People of Colour (2020)
- Salmon M. Future Facing With Tomorrow’s Jazz Warriors (2019)
- Salmon MA. Triple Action: The Power of Empathy + Happiness + Optimism For Student Performance (2018)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Salmon M. Emotional Intelligence + Academic Performance + Design Thinking (2017)
- Salmon M. Building bridges: what more can be done to facilitate expertise sharing between the Caribbean and the diaspora in the UK? (2016)
- Salmon M. Black Women in Dance: Stepping Out of the Barriers The Dance of Leadership (2016)
- Salmon M. Educational Leadership: The Path to Social and Academic Transformation (2015)
- Salmon M. Cultural Entrepreneurship as a Path to Prosperity for the Caribbean (2015)
- Salmon M. Convention ISM Alumni: The School of Tomorrow - Dakar 2014 (2014)
- Salmon M. Emotional Intelligence* Academic Performance* Design Thinking* (2016)
- Salmon M. Made in Jamaica (2018)