BiographyMartin Westwood is the Frank Martin Research Fellow in Sculpture at Central Saint Martins and a practice-based PhD researcher at Kingston University. He has exhibited widely in both the UK and abroad at artist–run, commercial and public galleries. Since the late 1990’s his work has manipulated the quotidian and vernacular objects of commercial and bureaucratic activity. From commercial transaction windows, charity donation boxes, large-scale extrusions of farfalle pasta shapes, office suspension ceilings to computer mouse-mats his work has allegorized the assemblies of material constructing value in exchange economies through sculpture, installation and pictorial works.
Current research practice explores the relationship between the external memory of technical prosthetics and temporality. Themes of anachronism, calculation, supplement and noise have been explored through a series of symposia titled ‘Headstone to Hard Drive’.
Selected solo exhibitions include: Boneus, The Approach, London (2012); Supermen made you but only superfluity will release you, Galerie Fons Welters, Amsterdam (2012); These Hands Are Models, Stanley Picker Gallery (2011); Comma13 (Hysteresis), Bloomberg Space (2009), fade held, Art Now, Tate Britain (2005).
In 2009 Westwood was Stanley Picker Fellow at Kingston University and in the same year was awarded an Abbey Fellowship at The British School Rome.
- Westwood M. Juno Moneta Atlas: Warburgian production or performing context change (2017)
- Finch M, Westwood M. The Warburg Haus: Apparatus, inscription, data, speculation (2017)
- Bryniarska J, Westwood M. On/Off-Message (2017)
- Westwood M. Technology, time, transposition (2017)
- Westwood M, Jones S. Discussion on ‘Script for the playing of a 7” phonograph record prepared for readthrough’ between Sarah Jones and Martin Westwood (2017)
- Westwood M. Headstone to Hard Drive (2017)
- Westwood M. Vincent's Story (2014)
- Westwood M, Bryniarska J. Considering the Network of Heritage and Historical Value in Archaeology and Art (2018)
- Westwood M. The Autochthon and the Terraformed. The European Space Agency's Regolith Building Block (2017)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Westwood M, Bryniarska J. Simondon, Lyotard and the Transdisciplinary Shadow (2019)
- Westwood M. Gilbert Simondon's Ecumenicism and the Transdisciplinary Shadow (2018)
- Westwood M. Juno Moneta Atlas: Warburgian production or performing context-change (2016)
- Westwood M. Phenomenology and/or objects of exchange (2015)
- Westwood M, Bryniarska J. A Dustbin; A Calendar (2015)
- Bryniarska J, Westwood M. Creativity, Art and Archaeology (2015)
- Westwood M. Technology and Time: Monument, spoliant, excavation/folly (2014)
- Westwood M. Getty 88 (2013)