Dr Lara Salinas
BiographyLara is a practitioner and researcher with an interdisciplinary background in digital culture. She is a Lecturer in the Design School at London College of Communication, teaching on the MA Service Design and Senior Research Fellow in Knowledge Exchange at UAL.
Currently she is leading research on knowledge exchange in arts and design. Lara’s research interests include knowledge exchange in arts and design, designing for services and policy and physical-digital hybrids. Her expertise extends to facilitating participatory design and knowledge exchange with academia, creative industries and public sector organisations.
Her undergraduate and postgraduate studies were in Art, Technology and Digital Culture, and specialising in web-based art and creative uses of locative media. Her work has been exhibited internationally, outstanding TodaysArt (Netherlands) FutureEverything (UK), Urban Transcript (Italy), NewMediaFest (Germany) and Web Biennial (Turkey). Her AHRC-funded, practice-led PhD was completed at Lancaster University in 2016. She examined how services can facilitate the social production of hybrid physical-digital spaces through participatory design-led cross-disciplinary and cross-sector collaborations with pioneering companies, local authorities and academic thinkers. She did her post-doctoral studies at the AHRC-funded Public Collaboration Lab (CSM) investigating the potential of design education in supporting innovation practices within local government through collaborative design practice. She has been involved in a number of research projects, such as the Horizon 2020-funded Pharma-Factory, aiming to maximize impact by developing new tools to facilitate communication to help understand and reduce barriers to acceptance of plant-based pharmaceutical products and services.
Grants and awards
(Figures indicate amount awarded to UAL)
- European Commission H2020, Plant Molecular Farming, £443,638.00, (2017-2021)
- Thorpe A, Prendiville A, Salinas L, Rhodes S. Anatomy of local government/design education collaboration (2017)
- Salinas L, Coulton P, Dunn N. Using Game Design as a Frame for Evaluating Experiences in Hybrid Digital/Physical Spaces (2016)
- Huck J, Gradinar A, Paul C, Salinas L. Paths of Desire: Dynamic Visual Hierarchies to Intentionally Influence Route Decision (2016)
- Salinas L. Entrevista a Drew Hemment (2013)
- Salinas L. Arte 2.0 (2011)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Salinas L. What is the value of knowledge exchange? (2018)
- Gradinar A, Huck J, Coulton P, Salinas L. Beyond the Blandscape: Utilizing Aesthetics in Digital Cartography. (2016)
- Salinas L, Weise S, Pollastri S. Transforming the planning progress – challenges for the service designer (2014)
- Salinas L. Digital media to enhance the planning system: a case study in Liverpool (2014)
- Salinas L. Digital public space(s): redefining publicness (2014)
- Salinas L, Thorpe A, Prendiville A, Rhodes S. Civic engagement as participation in designing for services
- Eilbeck A, Stewart H, Jacbos N, Quick A, Salinas L, Porter J, Harvey G. Meyouandus: Interactive in-venue displays. Research and Development Report (2015)
- Salinas L. The Production of Digital Public Space(s) (2016)