Dr Lara Salinas
BiographyDr. Lara Salinas is a Lecturer in the Design School at London College of Communication, teaching on the MA Service Experience Design and Innovation course, and Senior Research Fellow in Knowledge Exchange at UAL. Lara is a practitioner and researcher with an interdisciplinary background in digital culture. She previously worked on the AHRC-funded Public Collaboration Lab (CSM) investigating the potential of design education in supporting innovation practices within local government through collaborative design practice.
Her AHRC-funded, practice-led PhD was completed at Lancaster University in 2016. She examined the production of physical-digital hybrid spaces through the design of new products, experiences and services, in collaborative action research projects with pioneering companies, local authorities and academic thinkers.
Her undergraduate and postgraduate studies were in Art, Technology and Digital Culture, and specialising in web-based art and creative uses of locative media. Her work has been exhibited internationally, outstanding TodaysArt (Netherlands) FutureEverything (UK), Urban Transcript (Italy), NewMediaFest (Germany) and Web Biennial (Turkey).
Lara’s research interests include designing for services, design thinking and doing and participatory design. Her expertise extends to facilitating participatory design and knowledge exchange with academia, creative industries and public sector organisations, to prototype innovative human-centered service solutions.
My research interests revolve around participatory design, knowledge exchange and physical-digital hybrids.
Currently I am conducting research on the value of knowledge exchange activities, looking at the potential for and value of art and design education collaboration with private, public and third sector organisations.
In my design-led PhD research I explored how design can facilitate the production of hybrid physical-digital spaces through participatory design-led cross-disciplinary and cross-sector collaborations.
Grants and awards
(Figures indicate amount awarded to UAL)
- European Commission H2020, Plant Molecular Farming, £443,638.00, (2017-2021)
- Thorpe A, Prendiville A, Salinas L, Rhodes S. Anatomy of local government/design education collaboration (2017)
- Salinas L, Coulton P, Dunn N. Using Game Design as a Frame for Evaluating Experiences in Hybrid Digital/Physical Spaces (2016)
- Huck J, Gradinar A, Paul C, Salinas L. Paths of Desire: Dynamic Visual Hierarchies to Intentionally Influence Route Decision (2016)
- Salinas L, Sebastian W, Serena P. Transforming the planning progress – challenges for the service designer. (2014)
- Salinas L. Entrevista a Drew Hemment (2013)
- Salinas L. Arte 2.0 (2011)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Salinas L. What is the value of knowledge exchange? (2018)
- Gradinar A, Huck J, Coulton P, Salinas L. Beyond the Blandscape: Utilizing Aesthetics in Digital Cartography. (2016)
- Salinas L, Weise S, Pollastri S. Transforming the planning progress – challenges for the service designer (2014)
- Salinas L. Digital media to enhance the planning system: a case study in Liverpool (2014)
- Salinas L. Digital public space(s): redefining publicness (2014)
- Salinas L, Thorpe A, Prendiville A, Rhodes S. Civic engagement as participation in designing for services
- Eilbeck A, Stewart H, Jacbos N, Quick A, Salinas L, Porter J, Harvey G. Meyouandus: Interactive in-venue displays. Research and Development Report (2015)
- Salinas L. The Production of Digital Public Space(s) (2016)