Jay McCauley Bowstead
BiographyJay McCauley Bowstead is a lecturer in Cultural and Historical Studies at London College of Fashion where he is Co-Convener of the Masculinities Research Hub.
His research to date has focused on shifting male identities and their relationship to fashion design and production — his recent publications include the monograph 'Menswear Revolution: The Transformation of Contemporary Men’s Fashion'. He looks forward to forthcoming chapters in 'Dandy Style' (Shaun Cole and Miles Lambert eds.) and 'Representations of the Male Body' (Gerlsbeck and Dexl eds.).
McCauley Bowstead's current research continues to interrogate questions of gender while also exploring new technologies of fashion production and the role of industrial policy in shaping the fashion industry. He is working on a special issue of 'Critical Studies in Men's Fashion' for Intellect Journals with Charlie Athill resulting from their recent conference ‘Globalising Men’s Style'. McCauley Bowstead has appeared on BBC Radio 4’s sociology programme Thinking Allowed, and the Today Programme speaking on issues of fashion, masculinity, and gender.
- Hitchcock F, McCauley Bowstead J. Queer fashion practice and the camp tactics of Charles Jeffrey LOVERBOY (2020)
- McCauley Bowstead J. Hedi Slimane and the reinvention of menswear (2015)
- McCauley Bowstead J. Fashion in turbulent times: new technologies meet new economic paradigms
- McCauley Bowstead J. Menswear Revolution: The Transformation of Contemporary Men's Fashion (2018)
- McCauley Bowstead J. A Guide to Preparing your Portfolio (2011)
- McCauley Bowstead J. Contemporary British Menswear: Hybridity Flux and Globalisation (2021)
- McCauley Bowstead J, Golmohammadi L. Trend Forecasting, Taste and Fashion Production (2018)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Hitchcock F, McCauley Bowstead J. Camp from club to catwalk: Charles Jeffrey’s LOVERBOY and queer fashion practice (2019)
- McCauley Bowstead J, Barry B. Influential Images – diversifying the male body in fashionable representation (2019)
- McCauley Bowstead J. Decoding the Contested Aesthetics of Contemporary Men’s Fashion (2019)
- McCauley Bowstead J. Inclusive masculinities in men’s fashion (2018)
- McCauley Bowstead J. Refashioning the Male Body (2018)
Current research students
- Angela King, ‘Fashioning the male boxing body’, an investigation into ringside boxing dress as embodied working-class masculinity and material culture. (Joint supervisor)