Dr Francesco Mazzarella
BiographyDr Francesco Mazzarella is a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at the Centre for Sustainable Fashion (CSF) – a University of the Arts London (UAL) research centre based at London College of Fashion (LCF). His current research explores ways in which design activism can be used to create counter-narratives towards sustainability in fashion. As part of his role, Francesco is also involved in teaching across LCF and is the CSF representative within the Change Network, responsible for the College's move to the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in 2022. In 2018 and 2019 Francesco was AHRC Design Leadership Fellow Research Associate at ImaginationLancaster, with the aim to support design research for change.
Francesco was the first researcher to be awarded a PhD from the AHRC Design Star CDT at Loughborough Design School in 2018. His doctoral research project explored how service design can be used to activate textile artisan communities to transition towards a sustainable future. Previously, Francesco was awarded a BSc in Industrial Design (Product Design) and an MSc in Ecodesign, both from the Politecnico di Torino in Italy. He has also been an exchange student at the University of Twente (the Netherlands) and at the Minas Gerais State University (Brazil). Francesco's work has been presented at international conferences and published in peer-reviewed journals and conference proceedings.
Francesco has experience in design research, education, and practice in the UK, Italy, the Netherlands, Hungary, Brazil, and South Africa. He is a fellow of the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (RSA), a charity committed to find practical solutions to societal challenges. Francesco is also a member of Mode Uncut, an international network aimed at activating disruptive fashion modes and practices. Francesco's research spans the fields of design activism, fashion and textile artisanship, holistic sustainability, service design and social innovation. With his proactivity, systemic thinking, international network and sharp visualisation skills, Francesco defines himself as a social capital catalyst, having expertise in crafting meaningful social innovations with communities.
Grants and awards
(Figures indicate amount awarded to UAL)
- The Sheepdrove Trust, 'Making for Change: Waltham Forest' showcase, £10,000.00, (2019-2019)
- Waltham Forest Council, Making for Change: Waltham Forest, £66,900.00, (2018-2019)
- Mazzarella F, Hirscher A-L, Fuad-Luke A. Socialising Value Creation through Practices of Making Clothing Differently: A Case Study of a Makershop with Diverse Locals (2018)
- Mazzarella F, Mitchell V, Escobar-Tello C. Crafting Sustainable Futures. The Value of the Service Designer in Activating Meaningful Social Innovation from within Textile Artisan Communities
- Mazzarella F, Storey H, Williams D. Counter-narratives Towards Sustainability in Fashion. Scoping an Academic Discourse on Fashion Activism through a Case Study on the Centre for Sustainable Fashion
- Rodgers PA, Conerney L, Mazzarella F. Deconstructing Design Research
- Rodgers PA, Mazzarella F, Conerney L. Investigating the Next Generation of Design Researchers
- Mazzarella F, Brass C. Great Expectations for the O-shaped Designer
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Rodgers PA, Mazzarella F, Conerney L. The Evolving Landscape of Design Research in the UK (2019)
- Mazzarella F, Mitchell V, May A, Escobar-Tello C. Weaving the Threads: Service Innovation with Textile Artisan Communities (2018)
- Mazzarella F, Escobar-Tello C, Mitchell V. Moving Textile Artisans' Communities towards a Sustainable Future – A Theoretical Framework (2016)
- Brass C, Mazzarella F. Are we asking the right questions? Rethinking post-graduate design education towards sustainable visions for the future (2015)
- Mazzarella F, Escobar-Tello C, Mitchell V. Service Ecosystem: Empowering Textile Artisans' Communities towards a Sustainable Future (2015)
- Mazzarella F, Engler R. Self-production and craft: advanced processes for social innovation (2014)
- Mazzarella F, Peruccio PP. Self-production: a human centered design process. The sustainable future of self-production through a humanistic and participatory process (2012)
- Cronin R, Mazzarella F, Tischler-Wood A. I Wanna Be Me, I Wanna Be EU (2019)
- Mazzarella F, McKay F, Jugovic M. Making for Change: Waltham Forest showcase (2019)