Dr Danah Abdulla
BiographyI am a designer, educator and researcher interested in new narratives and practices in design that push the disciplinary boundaries and definitions of the discipline.
Currently I hold the position of Programme Director of Graphic Design at Camberwell, Chelsea and Wimbledon Colleges of Arts, UAL. Prior to my role at CCW, I was Senior Lecturer in Brunel University London’s Design department where I lead on communication design modules across the BA and BSc courses, and was a Lecturer in the Design school at London College of Communication.
I am a founding member of the Decolonising Design research group alongside seven other researchers, and the Creative Director and Editor of Kalimat Magazine, a non-profit publication about Arab thought and culture.
I obtained my PhD from the Design department at Goldsmiths, University of London. My research is particularly focused on decolonising design, possibilities of design education, design culture(s) with a focus on the Arab region, the politics of design, publishing, and critical views of social design.
Outputs include journal articles, book chapters and conference papers. I have presented my work at international conferences, conducted several workshops, and alongside my research group Decolonising Design, organised a symposium on intersectionality in design, co-edited an issue of the Design and Culture journal, and organised part of the platforms programme for the Beyond Change conference in Basel.
- Abdulla D, Abuaker S. Countless Palestinian Futures (2021)
- Abdulla D. Keep Your Distance, Wear a Mask and Stay Safe: The Visual Language of Covid-19 Print-Based Signage (2021)
- Abdulla D, Ansari A, Canlı E, Keshavarz M, Kiem M, Oliveira P, Prado de O. Martins L, Schultz T. A Manifesto for Decolonising Design (2019)
- Abdulla D. A Platform for Third World Solidarity: The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine Bulletin (2019)
- Schultz T, Abdulla D, Ansari A, Canlı E, Keshavarz M, Kiem M, Prado de O. Martins L, Vieira de Oliveira P. What is at stake with decolonizing design? A Roundtable (2018)
- Schultz T, Abdulla D, Ansari A, Canlı E, Keshavarz M, Kiem M, Prado de O. Martins L, Vieira de Oliveira P. Editors' Introduction (2018)
- Abdulla D. Disciplinary Disobedience: a border-thinking approach to design (2021)
- Abdulla D. Imagining Otherwise (2020)
- Abdulla D. Radicalise Me (2019)
- Abdulla D, Ansari A, Canlı E, Keshavarz M, Kiem M, Prado de O. Martins L, Schultz T, Vieira de Oliveira P. Decolonizing Design Manifesto (2019)
- Abdulla D. The Challenges and Opportunities of introducing Design Culture in Jordan (2019)
- Abdulla D. Sleep Faster We Need the Pillows (2018)
- Abdulla D, Prado de O. Martins L, Schultz T. Decolonising Design Education: Ontologies, Strategies, Urgencies (2018)
- Abdulla D, Ansari A, Canlı E, Keshavarz M, Kiem M, Vieira de Oliveira P, Prado de O. Martins L, Schultz T. Design Activism: A Conversation by The Decolonising Design Group (2017)
- Abdulla D. Only Icons (2016)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Abdulla D, Canlı E, Prado de O. Martins L, Vieira de Oliveira P. Sorry to be heavy but heavy is the cost: Colonialism/Coloniality and its contemporary manifestations (Part 1); Intersectionality and Decoloniality: Design, Politics and Power (Part 2) (2018)
- Abdulla D, Prado L, Schultz T. Collective Perspectives on Decolonising Design Education (2017)
- Abdulla D. Remarks on Mohamed Elshahed's talk 'Collecting Modern Egypt' (2017)
- Abdulla D. Propositions for design culture in the Arab world (2017)
- Abdulla D. Collaborative Curricula (2016)
- Abdulla D. Intersectional Perspectives on Design, Politics and Power (2016)
- Abdulla D. Designers Represent! Developing a Design Association in Amman, Jordan (2016)
- Abdulla D. A Manifesto of Change or Design Imperialism? A Look at the Purpose of the Social Design Practice. (2014)
- Abdulla D. Against Performative Positivity (2021)
Current research students
- Qais Ahmad, Using Design for Behaviour Change and Communication Design to influence household behaviour towards food waste prevention: An exploration in the Jordanian context (Joint supervisor)
Communication and graphic design