BiographyCaroline Stevenson is Programme Director of Cultural and Historical Studies at London College of Fashion, providing academic leadership for the Cultural and Historical Studies Department and the Fashion Studies Programme.
A curator and writer, she works across the fields of contemporary art and fashion and has produced projects and programmed events for Glasgow International Festival of Visual Art, V&A Museum, ICA, Arcade East, the Barbican, Tate Britain, Tenderbooks, Kunstverein München, Dutch Design Week and a range of temporary spaces. Her curatorial practice has been recognised through several grants from Arts Council England and the British Council.
Caroline is co-founder of Modus, a curatorial platform and network for expanded fashion practice. Based at Onomatopee in Eindhoven (NL), Modus produces exhibitions, events and publications bringing together an international community of fashion practitioners and cultural institutions. She is also a member of the UAL Research Centre for Fashion Curation and co-runs the Fashion Design and Visual Arts Research Hub at London College of Fashion. She convenes the seminar series Fashion/Politics in collaboration with faculty from Parsons Paris, and is an editor of Fashion Practice: The Journal of Design, Creative Process and the Fashion Industry.
Caroline publishes scholarly and critical writing on fashion, contemporary art and curatorial practice and curates exhibitions and projects internationally. Her current research uses the concept of the curatorial as a means to reconstruct conventional narratives of borders and belonging in contemporary art and fashion practices, forming new alliances, affinities and communities of interdisciplinary practice at local and global levels. She is currently curating an exhibition for the Fashion Space Gallery, opening in October 2022.
A frequent media commentator, Caroline's knowlege and opinion on historical and contemporary fashion trends have appeared across the global media, including BBC World Service, BBC Culture, The Guardian, The Times Style Magazine, Harper's Bazaar, Women's Wear Daily and the Financial Times.
- Stevenson C, Sliwinska B. Whisper Game: Practicing Attention Through Caring and Pacing (2022)
- Stevenson C. Radical Pedagogies: Right Here, Right Now! (2022)
- Stevenson C. (I was there) when it all went down (2019)
- Stevenson C, Hoette R, Brauchli R. Modus (2018)
- Stevenson C. Fashioning the Contemporary Artist: The Spatial Biography of Sue Tompkins (2018)
- Stevenson C. Identity, research and the arts curriculum: Counterstorytelling as academic practice (2015)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Stevenson C. How to work better: Collective Action in London and Amsterdam (2021)
- Stevenson C, Laing M, Bartlett D, Pecorari M. Fashion / Politics: 20/21 Manifesto (2020)
- Stevenson C. Working in the Interzone: Fashion as Interdisciplinary Practice (2016)
- Stevenson C. What is Critical Fashion Practice (2015)
- Stevenson C. ‘Reading the landscape: The Performative Labour of Sue Tompkins and Matthew Damhave’ (2015)
Current research students
- Anna Fitzpatrick, FASHIONING POLITICAL ACTORS: how can fashion be used to enable political agency in a shift towards a more democratic and sustainable society? (Joint supervisor)
Curation and culture