The Theatre and Performance Design Education Network
This network, with a specific focus on pedagogy, aims to support teaching, research and innovation in theatre and performance design education. It also aims to enhance pedagogy and research within the subject and to act as an advocate for educators, evidencing the importance of the disciplines and consolidating their future within the Academy.
Supported by University of the Arts London, the new Network will:
- Provide a lively, discursive forum for interrogating, developing and sharing pedagogical approaches.
- Actively promote international platforms for leading research with a focus on innovation.
- Develop and support cross-institutional projects and staff exchanges for the benefit of staff and students.
- Provide a discursive forum for sharing and developing pedagogical approaches to education for theatre and performance design and scenographic practice.
- Promote platforms for subject related research and its development and presentation, particularly focusing on pedagogical innovations.
- Through the above, interrogate established pedagogical practices and their historical context.
- Encourage experimentation and innovation through research and projects, benefiting the wider educational landscape, and the related creative industries and economies throughout Europe.
- Advocate and promote the discipline through the coordination of national and international exhibitions, symposia and conferences.
Joining the Network
Benefits of attending our conference and becoming a member of the network have been identified as the following:
- Network voting rights
- Staff exchanges within member institutions only
- Invitation of individual members from within institution but from another discipline
- Discounted Routledge subscription
- Publication of research and practice papers
- Practitioner workshops and presentations
- Postgraduate research
Theatre Design and Pedagogy Conference
Our inaugural conference took place on 15-16 March 2018 and was entitled ‘Theatre and Performance Design Pedagogy Conference: Best Practice and Strategies for the Future’.
"[W]ith every generation of graduates we are in danger of legitimising and setting in stone the prevailing understanding of the artistic disciplines, as they are represented by the institutions." - Heiner Goebbels, Aesthetics of Absence, 2015.
The network aims to bring together teachers and researchers from a range of international institutions engaged with the teaching of theatre and performance design. It will support current best practice, strategise for the future and provide a forum for interrogating the efficacy of different pedagogical approaches.
Read more about the conference themes, content and keynote speakers (PDF 206KB)
Please note this conference has now passed.