Introduction to Interior Design Part 1 Short Course
You will be introduced to three-dimensional thinking and analysis as you begin to plan and stylise a residential interior space. There will be an emphasis on developing your practical design skills as you learn how to produce scale drawings, mood boards and sample boards. In addition, you'll find out where to source materials and how to create that designer look.
With a wealth of unrivalled experience and expertise, our tutors will provide vital insights into the realities of the interior design world.
Please note that this course requires dedication; students should therefore allocate time to work on their projects in their own time.
By the end of this course you will have developed a range of design-related skills, and the confidence to start applying your skills to your own domestic design scheme. You will leave the course with a number of newfound design-related skills as well as work to add to a portfolio.
Who should attend
This course is ideal for those who are interested in Interior Design but are new to the subject. Or maybe you are hoping to make the first steps at changing your career and becoming a professional interior designer.
This course will guide you through the principal skills as practised by professional interior designers. Afterwards, you may wish to progress onto the Introduction to Interior Design - Part 2.
Courses are typically taught by one or more of the tutors.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methodologies will be explained or demonstrated
- We also offer learning resources for you to access outside of the classroom
All our on campus courses include:
- Networking opportunities and the chance to share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access to the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Access to our college shops for any materials you might need
- The chance to ask questions to your tutor in real time
- Feedback and critique on your assignments
- The opportunity to experience the many sights of London on your down time
All our online short courses include:
- Live and interactive online lessons with classmates from around the world
- The same course content and learning outcomes as our face to face courses
- Lesson recordings, for review, so you never have to miss a class
- Access to the virtual learning environment with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access to the recordings of the live classroom sessions
- The opportunity to ask questions to your tutor in real time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- However we always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are a great addition to your CV.
- Client brief
- Concept boards
- Scale drawing at scale 1:20
- Scaled plans and elevations
- Hard finishes
- Rendering techniques
- Sample boards
- Presentation methods for mounting work
- Presenting work to a client
On campus materials:
Please bring the following materials:
- A pen and notepad for taking notes
- A laptop with a minimum of 8GB RAM
- A 3 button mouse (to use with your laptop)
- A USB stick
- Vectorworks Designer Student Version 2021.
To access the current version of the Vectorworks software you will need to create a 3 month student account. Please visit the Vectorworks Student Portal to create your account.
Online short course materials:
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
- Vectorworks Designer Student Version - 2021
- A computer mouse
To access the current version of the Vectorworks software you will need to create a 3 month student account. Please visit the Vector Works Student Portal to create your account.
Before booking the course students should check their countries coverage to ensure they can access Vector works.
Vectorworks' licence only covers select global areas and unfortunately some international students may be located in areas where the software license does not currently extend (global coverage map here - https://www.vectorworks.net/international)
Meet the Tutor:
Join Introduction to Interior Design and gain the practical skills and knowledge to create a design for a domestic space. Through workshops you will develop your design awareness and learn the fundamentals of planning an interior design scheme.
- Chelsea College of Arts
- Telephone +44 (0)20 7514 7015
- Address Chelsea College of Arts 16 John Islip Street London SW1P 4JU
college: Chelsea College of ArtsMake an enquiry
- Sign up to our mailing list
- Chelsea College of Arts
- Short Courses
- +44 (0)20 7514 7015
- Chelsea College of Arts
- 16 John Islip Street
- SW1P 4JU