Amber Butchart, Fashion Historian, author, researcher, broadcaster and tutor of our Fashion History The Evolution of Style Online course, shared her suggestions on who to follow, what to read, watch and listen to, during isolation.
Who to follow?
- Follow the Costume Society and Association of Dress Historians social media accounts
- I'm running a #VirtualFashionMuseum on my Instagram account.
What to read?
There are numerous books on dress and it's cultural, social and political meanings - both public-facing and academic. Here are some key texts that focus on specific periods, or as an overview to the study of dress history and fashion theory.
- Dress in the Age of Jane Austen
- The Culture of Fashion
- Adorned in Dreams
- Paris Fashion
- How to Read a Dress
- How to Read a Suit
What to listen to?
What to watch?
- ‘We Wear Culture?’ on Google Arts & Culture
- Europeana historical fashion collections from more than 30 European public and private institutions
- The excellent Fashion Institute of Technology fashion history timeline and explore their collections and other resources here
- Watch English Heritage historic makeup tutorials
- Watch London's Fashion Alphabet from the Museum of London
- Watch The Fashion Archive and vintage fashions channel from British Pathe
Follow Amber Butchart on Instagram and check-out her Fashion History The Evolution of Style Short Course