Introduction to Knitwear Design Online Short Course
Knitwear is becoming an increasingly popular and innovative area of design due to modern developments in technology making it even more exciting and experimental. If you are interested in exploring these new possibilities in designing knitwear then this course is for you.
This course will teach you how to design knitwear, starting with knitting basics, such as basic hand knitting techniques, types of knit, and construction methods. There will be an emphasis on different yarn properties and texture in order to create your own designs, and these will be developed with reference to hand knitting techniques and your own hand-sketched illustrations.
Through analysing current knitwear trends and looking at luxury knitwear designers who incorporate key knitwear pieces into their collections you will gain a good understanding of knitwear that you will be able to apply to your own designs. You will be set practical and experimental tasks each week, finally presenting a sketchbook of designs and research with a final hand sketched line up of eight selected knitwear outfits.
This course is perfect for anyone interested in clothing design and fashion would like to learn a new craft. You can apply the skills you learn to create your own contemporary knitwear as an independent knitwear designer or to build up your portfolio for a degree application.
By the end of the course you will have an understanding of;
- Knitwear trends and designers
- Different yarns and their properties
- Textures, yarns counts and compositions
- Technical hand knitting skills
- Colour, stitch and textures through swatches
- How to create beautiful hand sketched designs based on the knit swatches
Who is Introduction to Knitwear Design Online Short Course for?
This course is ideal for anyone who is considering a career in the knitwear industry and would like to learn about yarns, stitch, techniques and design etc, or anyone wanting to learn a new craft.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
To fully participate in and to complete the course assignments, please make sure you have the following equipment;
- Notepad and pen
- Pencils, sketchbook or paper, eraser, ruler, etc.
- Software to prepare assignments - Powerpoint, Word, Photoshop, etc.
In addition to the materials listed above, you will need;
- A desktop computer or laptop (tablets and phones can be used but some functionality will be limited)
- An up-to-date version of Google Chrome
- A fast and reliable internet connection - a minimum of 1Mbps is required. You can check your network here - speedtest.net
You can find out more about our live classroom software here - Blackboard Collaborate
- Introduction to Knitwear
- Current knitwear trends
- How luxury designers incorporate knitwear into their collections
- Construction of Knit
- Carrying out personal research - collecting imagery, taking photographs
- Experimenting with colour and selecting yarns
- Learning the construction of hand knit and producing hand knitted swatches
- Working to a brief
- Selecting final yarns and colours showing different textures for final swatches
- Learning about yarns, suppliers and the construction of knit
- Learning the basic purl stitch hand knitting technique
- Fashion Design sketches based on knitted swatches and a final hand sketched line up of 8 outfits involving the selected swatches
- Portfolio/Sketchbook of work for review
Meet the Tutor:
This online course will teach you the fundamentals of knitwear, such as yarn properties, hand knitting techniques and texture. Learn how to create swatches and hand sketch your own knitwear designs.