Contemporary Drawing and Painting Online Short Course
This contemporary drawing and painting course is for passionate painters and artists who want to dedicate time to improving their skills and techniques. It will inspire you to build on existing knowledge and techniques so you can create with confidence, and take your art to the next level.
The course is led by a professional artist, and centres around three fundamental topics:
- Subject matter – what we paint
Contemporary art presents a spectacular array of subjects but this doesn’t mean that any every subject will work for you. How do you choose subjects with the most potential for you to express your ideas?
- Imagination and observation – how we see things
The act of perception is at the root of our aesthetic response. Together, we will look at understanding the relationship between the imagination and visual appearance and how it is used in an artwork.
- Technique and language – the way we work
Colour, light, space and form are the essential pillars of the language used in painting and drawing. Here, you will learn to control these elements to help you further develop your own work.
You will be working with acrylic, oil and pencils as well as a variety of other mediums. You will also learn many other skills such as painting in one sitting, finding abstract art, and making effective compositions. Your work will be critiqued in a constructive and supportive way, by a professional artist as well as others in your group. Feedback from other students as well as your tutor will help your work progress and blossom by the end of the course.
This short course is ideal if you want to achieve real progress in your paintings, and invest in yourself to learn new techniques and develop your own individual art style. It is also ideal if you are looking to create new compositions and to help find your response to contemporary life. This course is taught by weekly online sessions with dedicated projects each week.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain in easy to understand accessible English, if they use any special terminology we make sure they explain what it is they mean.
- New methodologies will be explained to you in a way that’s crystal clear and easy to understand.
- We even include live demonstrations of particular techniques so that you can see exactly how things should be done.
- We also offer a bunch of learning resources for you to access outside of the live lessons. This allows you to ensure you are up to date and you can practice and review the things that are important to you. Practice makes perfect after all!
Live interactive classrooms:
- We like to do things the right way, that's why all of our online classes are live, you won't find any recordings here (well apart from the recording we provide in case you miss a live session)
- Expect live interaction with your classmates from around the world, our students come from far and wide
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Discuss topics related to your course in real time via your microphone and camera or if you're not feeling brave, in the chat box
- Miss a class? Thats ok you can catch up in a recording which is available for 2 weeks after your course runs
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- However we always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are a great addition to your CV.
All our online short courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes as our face to face courses
- Lesson recordings, for review, so you never have to miss a class
- Access to the virtual learning environment with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access to the recordings of the live classroom sessions
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- A3 sketchbook
- 2B pencils
- Putty rubber
- Willow Charcoal
- Gesso Primer
- Assorted paintbrushes (at least two large)
- Drawing board
- Good assortment of coloured oils and acrylics
- Why we paint and your response to contemporary life
- Objective, abstract and expressive art
- How to find subject matter
- Technique and language
- Effective compositions
- Graphics and visual art
- Using Acrylic vs Oil
- Space, form, colour and light
- How to work from photographs
- Alla Prima (painting in one sitting)
- Abstract values and surface quality
- What makes a good subject
- Understanding the relationship between the imagination and visual appearance
- Practical techniques for space
- How to work as part of a creative group and evaluate your work
Meet the Tutor:
This contemporary drawing and painting course is for painters and artists who want to dedicate time to improving their skills and techniques. It will inspire you to build on existing knowledge and techniques.