The Complete Makeup Artist Short Course
On this makeup artist course you will learn the professional skills required to become an innovative and in-demand make-up artist in the creative world of fashion image-making. This industry focused professional short course covers all aspects of makeup and has been designed for aspiring makeup artists who wish to gain the skills and confidence to pursue a career in the industry.
In addition to being taught the theory and practising your new skills, you'll record your work and build a portfolio during two studio photoshoots with a professional photographer and hair stylist - allowing you to demonstrate the skills learnt during the course and put them into practice. In addition to the course tutors, a teaching assistant will support your learning, and we will create a Facebook group for you to network with each other throughout.
Previous students have forged successful careers in the makeup industry and gone on to assist on teams for some of the biggest make up artists in the world, including Pat McGrath and Charlotte Tilbury for fashion week, and have been signed to various make up agencies in London. As this is a small group of students, there will be plenty of opportunity for one-to-one tutor advice on careers in the industry.
You'll receive your own full set of brushes and a MAC Cosmetics makeup starter kit. Take a look at the 'materials' section for full details on the contents of the kit.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
This course is scheduled to run on campus in a face to face delivery format. Please note that due to the ongoing pandemic situation this course may be adapted in line with UK government guidance or other operational requirements. This may include changing course location (to another UAL site), cancellation of the course, or moving part or all of the course online. In the event of any changes being required we will inform you as soon as possible and support you in any changes required. Please bear this in mind when making any travel, visa, or accommodation arrangements.
- Skincare, hygiene and preparation
- Selection of bases and skin finishes
- Corrective makeup
- Natural beauty makeup
- Bridal makeup
- Trends in fashion and beauty
- Corrective colour theory
- Strong advertorial makeup accentuating cheek bones, lips and contouring
- Decades in makeup: show girls, silver screen sirens and supermodels
- Who's who in the industry
- Editorial makeup: working on set / assisting
- Couture and ready-to-wear catwalk makeup
- Beauty and fantasy imagery for promotional impact
- Blocking out eyebrows and facial adornment
- HD make-up for TV, film, music promotions & commercials
- Creating a character / working on set
- Introduction to special effects
- Introduction to body painting
- False eyelashes
Please bring the following items with you to each class:
- Your own mascara
- Makeup remover/cleanser, and moisturiser (as you will be expected to practise on each other)
- Notepad and pen
Students are advised to remove any permanent eyelash extensions before the course starts, to ensure they are able to complete full makeup looks.
A MAC Studio Kit 1 starter makeup kit and a high quality 12 piece Bdellium brush set is included in the course fee. The starter kit includes:
- 2 correct & conceal palette - light, dark
- 3 face and body foundation 50ml c2, c6, n9
- 4 studio fix fluid - nc15, nw25, nc44, nw48
- 1 prep and prime finishing powder (loose)
- 1 single pro palette case
- 3 pro palette blushers - Raizin, Blushbaby, Sunbasque
- 1 sculpting powder - sculpt
- Eye shadow x9: Burgundy - times nine
- Eye shadow x9: Semi Sweet - times nine
- Eye pencil - Feline, Coffee
- 1 fluidline - Blacktrack
- 1 mascara - Haute and Naughty
- 2 eye brow pencils - Stud, Fling
- 1 chromagraphic pencil - white
- 3 lipsticks - Brave, Russian Red, Diva
- 2 lip pencils Cherry, Spice, Nightmoth
- Lip glass - clear
Kit contents may vary due to trends and availability.
Meet the Tutor:
The Complete Makeup Artist is an industry focused professional course that covers all aspects of makeup and has been designed for aspiring makeup artists who wish to gain the skills and confidence to pursue a career in the industry.