Have you dreamt of designing a fashion collection but you're not sure where to start? This course will provide you with a full overview of the fashion design process and will help you understand how successful designers operate.
Through the live digital classroom, youll be guided through where to look for inspiration, how to conduct visual research and interpret visual references, and how to create mood boards that can be presented to clients. Following this, youll be introduced to the hands-on design processes from sketching, planning and executing your final design ideas with creative flair.
Each week you will be given a practical, hands-on assignment, and the following week the tutor will provide you with personalised feedback, and the forum allows you to communicate and share ideas with your fellow classmates. By the end of the course you will have gained new insights into how the fashion industry operates and will have single-handedly developed your very own 6-piece capsule collection.
By the end of the course you will have;
- Developed effective ways to use primary and secondary research
- Presented your initial ideas through mood boards and your sketchbook
- Explored the idea of thematic collections
- Illustrated design details and surface decoration
- Become familiar with the work of the world's best fashion designers
- Learned about the importance of branding, trend forecasting, and colour predictionsand how to incorporate them into your designs
- Designed and illustrated your own capsule collection as a line-up
- Gained an insight into how fashion designs become finished collections for the catwalk
- Received personalised feedback on your assignments from your tutor
Who is Fashion Design (Online Short Course) for?
This course will provide the foundation for your fashion design journey - it will be an excellent way to prepare for further study and gain a valuable insight into this exciting career. You will also have the opportunity to complete work to contribute to a fashion design portfolio. This is a creative course taught by industry professionals. No prior experience is necessary.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
- An overview of well known fashion designers' work
- Illustrating a unique fashion template
- Sketching design details and fusing design ideas
- Formulating your design ideas and the importance of the sketchbook
- Rendering different fabrics and fashion styles
- Learning the full research and design process
- Designing for a demographic
- Creating look books and mood boards
- Experimenting with silhouette and cut
- Exploring print, texture and surface decoration
- Trend forecasting, and colour, fabric, and textile print fashion predictions
- Fabric and colour combinations for capsule collections
- The process of fashion design drawings to catwalk - An overview
- The process of fashion design from the catwalk to the stores/customer - An overview
- Choosing your fabrics and where to source them
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please have the following materials/equipment for the first class:
- A4 plain paper
- A4 card (multi colours)
- Glue stick
- Colour materials such as pro-markers, wax crayons, coloured pencils
Guidance will be provided during the first class on additional items to buy.