Creative Coding Online Short Course
Creative coding uses programming and code to produce expressive and artistic works. On this online short course you will learn to use computer code to create unique pieces of computational art, using the accessible and widely used Processing programming language. You will develop an understanding of this new and exciting creative medium, and gain the practical skills to begin experimenting and creating works of your own.
No programming experience is necessary to attend this course, so even if you are a beginner with technology you will be able to produce pieces of work by the end of the course. The course has been specifically tailored to learn how to code in the context of visual arts and design, and you will learn through practical examples which you will be able to apply straight away.
Each live session will be interactive and practical, with lots of opportunity to ask questions and discuss with your tutor and classmates. You will receive personal feedback on your assignment work each week from your tutor. In each session you will also work with other students from around the world who will help critique and inspire your artwork.
Throughout the course, you will learn to use programming to create visuals and experiences from scratch. You will obtain a better understanding of how computers and coding works. And you will also learn to integrate programming into your own creative practice using practical and personal projects. This is a fun and exciting new opportunity to further your work through a new medium.
By the end of the course you will have an understanding of;
- Understand the practical application to your own projects
- The fundamentals of programming
- How to manipulate colours and graphical elements with code
- How to apply effects to images and media with code
- How to modify visuals
- How to display and read data
- How to create your own patterns and visual media
- The basics of how to use code to enhance your designs
Who is Creative Coding (Online Short Course) for?
This course was designed for artists who are looking to enhance their artwork with code. This is the perfect course for students, professionals and artists who want to propel their designs into the modern age.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
- Examples of creative coding
- How to write your own creative code
- Pattern creation
- Image manipulation
- Data visualisation
- Motion graphics
- Practical application to your own projects
- Design for coding
- Repetition: for loop
- Variable types
- Pixel array
- How to read and write data
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- A desktop or laptop computer.
- Processing software. You can download tutor approved software here: https://processing.org/download
Meet the Tutor:
This Creative Coding online short course will provide an introduction to programming and processing in the context of visual arts and design. These skills transferrable to any programming language, will take your creativity to a whole new level.