The Art for the Environment Residency Programme (AER) provides current UAL postgraduates and recent alumni (within 12 months) the opportunity to apply for a 2 to 4 week residency at one of our internationally renowned host institutions, to explore concerns that define the 21st century – biodiversity, environmental sustainability, social economy and human rights.
Founded in 2015, internationally acclaimed artist Professor Lucy Orta, UAL Chair of Art for the Environment – Centre for Sustainable Fashion, launched the programme in partnership with international residency programmes and UAL Post-Grad Community.
Joya: arte + ecología, Almeria, Spain
Residency dates: September 2020
Application deadline: 27 April 2020 (Midnight)
About the host: The not-for-profit arts organisation Joya: arte + ecología is an arts-led field-research centre based at the farmstead of Cortijada Los Gázquez. The residency offers an ‘off-grid’ experience in the heart of the Parque Natural Sierra María-Los Vélez in the north of the Provincia de Almería, Andalucía.
AER Residency Programme overview: This is a self-directed programme. At Joya, residents will engage with the founders, taking part in their daily routines and living in a fully sustainable manner in respect of the cycles of nature. This family-home environment aims to facilitate, through discussion and collaboration, creative practice and critical thinking that manifests a discourse with the environment and sustainability. Residents can directly experience the effects of climate change on the degradation of the natural environment, through the exploration of the surrounding natural landscapes.
AER Residency opportunity includes:
- Two-week residency
- UAL grant of £500 on completion of residency and final report
- Joya: arte + ecología fees
- Use of a shared-studio space
- Curator mentoring and feedback
- Participation in an open studio event
- Accommodation and meals
- Travel to Alicante/Almeria/Granada (cap £150)
Criteria: Applications accepted from UAL postgraduates (MA and PhD) and recent alumni (within 12 months from graduation) only.
Please Note: Successful applicants will be responsible for (i) arranging and booking their own travel to and from the place of the AER Residency in accordance with guidance provided in the application call-outs or by AER administration team and (ii) arranging visas or other travel documentation as may be necessary as well as health and travel insurance. Successful applicants will be required to sign an appropriate UAL AER Residency Agreement which governs applicant’s participation on the Residency prior to the commencement of the Residency. All successful applicants shall receive a copy of the UAL AER Residency agreement following a formal confirmation on the grant of Residency.
- For further Information on the programme, visit the Art for the Environment Residency page.
- Explore our partnering institutions from all over the world.
- Extend your knowledge of AER by exploring Stories by previous UAL residents reporting back from their trip.
- Thinking of applying? Take a look at previous winning applications that earned a place on the AER residency programme.
- Professor Lucy Orta: AER Founder, UAL Chair of Art and the Environment, Centre for Sustainable Fashion
- Camilla Palestra: AER Associate Curator, Centre for Sustainable Fashion
- Fiona McKay AER Coordinator, Centre for Sustainable Fashion
- Abigail Fletcher: UAL Post-Grad Community Coordinator
For enquiries, please email UAL Post-Grad Community