UAL Fashion, Textiles and Technology Institute
The UAL Fashion, Textiles and Technology Institute (FTTI) delivers sustainable innovation across the entire fashion and textiles value chain. The FTTI operates at the intersection of design, STEM, cultural anthropology and business practices.
Together with our partners we aim to foster a new creative culture in which fashion, textiles and technology businesses can use research and development to achieve resilient growth.
By bridging the gap between academic research and commercial textiles and fashion, we can open up opportunities for real-world applied disruption.
Business of Fashion Textile and Technology SME R&D Showcase
Bringing together over 60 members from across the BFTT network, focusing on SME businesses, early career researchers, and partners.
UAL announces the development of world-leading Virtual Production lab
University of the Arts London (UAL) is excited to announce the development of a specialist Virtual Production (VP) and XR Lab facility - via its Fashion Textiles and Technology Institute (FTTI) - creating capacity for innovative, transdisciplinary practice-led research in VP/XR textiles and dress.
Call for proposals: Fashion, Textiles and Technology partnership with British Council
Following a successful pilot in 2022, applications for the next round of the FTTI New Landscapes: Catalyst R&D Grant Scheme are now open. The programme promotes the cultural, social and environmental values of a sustainable global fashion & textiles sector.
Study with us
Join UAL’s vibrant community of researchers. We offer theoretical and practice-based research programmes, leading to an MPhil or PhD.
There are currently over 250 research students at UAL who enjoy full access to all College and Institute resources as well as student training and support.
Work with us
The UAL Fashion, Textiles and Technology Institute aims to deliver sustainable innovation across the entire fashion and textiles value chain. Together with our partners we aim to foster a new creative culture in which fashion, textiles and technology businesses can use research and development to achieve resilient growth.
To find out more about our work get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr Jane Harris, Director of UAL FTTI, and Chair of Digital Design and Innovation
- Dr Mohammad Mahbubul Hassan, Professor of Advanced Sustainable Materials
- Dr Kate Goldsworthy, Professor in Circular Design and Innovation
- Dr Veronika Kapsali, Professor in Materials Technology and Design
- Dr Alessandra Vecchi, Reader in International Fashion Management
- Dr Emmanuel Silva, Reader in Applied Statistics for Fashion Business
- Dr Claire Bunyan, Senior R&D Fellow in Cultural Anthropology
- Rhosyn Tuta, Senior R&D Fellow in Cultural Anthropology
- Dr Joseph Houghton, R&D Fellow in Green and Sustainable Chemistry
- Laura Solomon, R&D Fellow in Textile Science and Technology
- Amy Hulme, Operations Manager (BFTT/FTTI)
- Ashleigh Dunn, SME R&D Manager
- Salah ud Din, Institute Coordinator
- Liv Barnes, R&D Coordinator
- Michelle Philgence, PA to the Director
FTTI Associate Partners:
- Queen Mary University London
- Loughborough University
- University College London
- Victoria and Albert Museum