Digital Print On Textiles
This beginners course will teach you how to design and print using a large format digital printer. Photoshop and Illustrator will be used to manipulate images and the resulting designs will be printed on both digital and sublimation printers.
You will be given an insight into techniques currently used in industry and will finish the course with a range of design samples printed on a variety of textiles. You will be able to print for both fashion and interiors. The aim is to encourage students to produce work that will make a unique addition to a portfolio and offer a new dimension to their existing textile abilities.
Topics covered include:
- Using a digital printer as well as using heat transfer
- Sublimation print techniques
- Use of appropriate textiles will be discussed
- Whenever possible, the course will include a visit to an exhibition to look at designers' works
Entry requirements: You will need some basic knowledge of working with Photoshop and Illustrator on Mac computers.
Students only have access to the print room and printing facilities during allocated class hours.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Laura Baker is an experienced lecturer in the Textiles programme at Central Saint Martins as well as specialist in 2D print and surface pattern for Fashion and Textiles. She has worked as a textile designer in industry and on a freelance basis for fashion and interiors companies internationally. She is also author of the publication 'Laser Cutting for Fashion and Textiles'.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- Sketchbook with personal visual references and inspirations, such as drawings, photographs, cut-outs from magazines etc
- Fabric swatches that inspire you.
- A USB memory stick for saving your work.