Fashion textile designers play an important role in the fashion industry, combining their creative flair with a practical understanding of garment materials and production processes to create the clothes we love. This online, hands-on design course will show you how to experiment with different ways of creating prints, textures and surface decoration before developing your own collection of textile designs.
Your tutor will guide you all the main elements of textile design, focusing on the design process and on print and surface textile design. You will learn where to find inspiration, methods of mark-making, how to alter scale and how to develop your own motifs and signature style. Youll learn how to create a colour palette and will gain a practical understanding of the materials, tools and production processes used widely within the industry.
This is a creative course for individuals wishing to expand their visual design portfolios. The online classroom and chat forum will allow you to communicate with your classmates and your tutor. And you will receive personal feedback each week on the practical projects you complete. The course is perfect for beginners, or those already working in design who want to expand their skills.
Who is Fashion Textile Design (Online Short Course) for?
This course is designed for anyone wishing to gain a practical insight into the different ways of creating textile decoration. Particularly suitable for those wishing to understand how the role of the textile designer interacts/overlaps with that of the fashion designer.
By the end of the course you will have;
- Discovered different ways of finding inspiration
- Experimented with different methods, mediums, and printmaking techniques
- Gained an understanding of the different ways fashion designers use textiles
- Create a range of original textile designs
- Begun to develop your signature style
- Received personalised feedback from your tutor, an industry specialist
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
If no dates are showing then please sign up to our mailing list to find out about upcoming dates and new course developments.
- Introduction to textiles
- Textile materials and construction: Weave, Knit, Print, and Embroidery
- Where textile designers find inspiration and how to use each of your senses
- Research review and artwork development
- Experimental mark making
- Paint, collage, and mixed media
- Creating a colour palette
- Surface and embellishment techniques
- One-offs, digital printing, and manual repeats
- Shapes, motifs, composition, and scale
- An overview of fashion designers utilising textile techniques
- Choosing your base fabric
- Applying textiles techniques to fashion garments
- Portfolio presentation
Online short course materials:
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please source the following materials:
- A3 hardback Sketchbook and fine liner pens (variety of thicknesses).
- A pair of paper scissors, scalpel.
- Drawing pencils (variety of thicknesses).
- Selection of acrylics, watercolour inks, paint palette.
- Selection of paint brushes.
- Needle and thread, haberdashery and materials related to your concept (for week 2).
- A recent computer with a recent operating system.
- An up-to-date web browser.
- Microphone (a headset with microphone/headphones is recommended).