This course will help you explore the creative possibilities of digital textile design techniques, tools, and processes, from the design brief through to the completed collection, and will introduce you to the basics of colour, drawing, composition and repeats with step-by-step exercises and examples.
Through a series of creative projects, the course will provide you with an invaluable insight into the techniques and practice of digital textile surface design, and covers the latest digital print technologies as well as both hand and traditional techniques. You will use digital technologies to create and develop exciting designs and patterns, and then process them into output files which can be used in different methods of fabric printing and garment manufacturing. Throughout the course you will receive personal feedback on your work from the course tutor.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Research colour and materials
- Demonstrate an ability to locate and evaluate information from a range of visual sources
- Refine research and design development with an introduction to Photoshop and Illustrator
- Create a successful repeat print design
- Create a colour palette
- Produce a digital folio including visualisations of designs
- Work to a brief and develop a collection of printed textile designs for sustainable digital print output
Who is Digital Textile Design Online Short Course for?
This course is ideal for textile designers, fashion designers, digital artists or anyone who works or who would like to work in creative roles in the textiles, fashion, or interior furnishings industries. No previous experience is required.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
If no dates are showing then please sign up to our mailing list to find out about upcoming dates and new course developments.
- Working with a brief
- Design development
- Working with trends
- Colour space studies
- Creating a colourway
- Using photoshop and illustrator packages
- Drawing with brushes and working with layers and filters
- Developing your drawings and forms with texture, composition and scale
- Mark making with an iPad
- Repeats: block/half-drop/allover/seamless
- Placement/engineered print
- Technical information: types of printing/dyes
- Specialist materials/fabrics
- Sustainability: reduction of waste
- Slow fashion/upcycling
- Digital portfolio
- Digital bureaus: file preparation
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please source the following materials
- Drawing/collage materials for drawing and composition
- Coloured paper and materials [found] for colour palettes
- Natural textile materials [fabrics and yarns] such as cotton and silk [found/upcycled] for collage and design development
- iPad/drawing tablet
- Digital camera/smart phone
- Memory stick
- Adobe package: Photoshop and Illustrator
- A recent computer with a recent operating system