Digital Print and Embroidery Design Online Short Course
Embroidery and textile print allow fashion designers to add exciting textures, patterns, embellishments, and focal points to their pieces. This intensive course will show you the full process, from sketching and design development, converting this to digital artwork, and finally exporting digital files which can be used by embroidery and print machines.
The course is practical and hands-on, and each week you will learn through completing creative and technical assignments. At every step you will receive personal feedback and support from your tutor.
To develop your motifs and designs, you will combine a range of hand drawing and painting techniques with the Adobe suite. You will learn how to develop your digital artworks and create repeats and patterns. Then you will learn how to prepare files that can be used by embroidery and print machines, and we will look at the construction process, and the range of file types that you may need.
To get the best results from the course, you will need to spend to at least 4 hours of independent study and practice each week, but no previous knowledge of Adobe suite is required.
By the end of the course you will have an understanding of;
- Sourced and conducted relevant visual research for your design process
- Developed confidence in hands-on print and embroidery design
- A better understanding of how to use Adobe design software
- Used a range of painting and drawing techniques to create prints
- Understand how to develop artwork from an initial idea to a finished concept
- Learnt how to you should communicate your designs to a manufacturer to get them made
- Produced a body of work that will contribute to a portfolio that can be used for the industry or to enter into further study
Who is Digital Print and Embroidery Design Online Short Course for?
This course is perfect for new fashion, textile, interior or fine art students looking to bolster a portfolio, illustrators and artists who want to know how to apply their designs to garments or soft furnishings, or anyone who wants to learn new skills.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
- Adobe Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Pencils, erasers
- Paints of your choice (watercolours, acrylics, markers, colour pencils, etc.
- A scanner, Wacom tablet or iPad are optional
To participate in the online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date version of the Google Chrome web browser
- A reliable and fast internet connection (2 Mbps minimum)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Visual research
- Colour palettes and pantones
- Vector drawing tricks and techniques
- Hand drawing motifs
- From hand drawing to digital
- Transforming pixels into vectors
- Selections and layers
- Print using collage
- Positional print and mirrors
- Types of embroidery
- Embroidery machine vs hand embroidery
- Thread embroidery and cross sticking digital
- Bedding, sequins, tubes and stones digital
- Technical files for Print and embroidery
Meet the Tutor:
This online short course is an introduction to designing digital prints, embroideries, and embellishments for fabrics. You will create your own design work and are encouraged to combine traditional and digital methods.