Knitwear For Fashion Beginners Short Course
This course offers you the chance to create a complete project in knitwear design - no previous knitting experience required!
You will begin by sourcing inspirational images, yarns and materials which you will translate into your knits over the duration of the course.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
- You will firstly be given a solid grounding in the basic machine knitting stitches.
- We will then progress to more complicated techniques such as fairisle, tuck & slip stitch, fully fashioning and creating patterns.
- You will learn how to translate your visual research into beautiful knits and how to sketch up design ideas.
- Finally, you will choose how to complete your project by creating either a garment or a portfolio of swatches.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- Tape measure
- A selection of yarns of different weights and gauges. You do not need to bring in large amounts but should bring a good selection that you are inspired by.
- There will be a limited supply of basic wools and cottons provided.
- Ribbons, lace, net, fabrics, or any other non- knitted trims to embellish your swatches
- Any students wishing to use crochet or handknitting to embellish their samples should also bring crochet hooks / knitting needles, but please note that this is not a taught part of the course due to time constraints
Meet the Tutor:
Create a complete project in knitwear design, and no previous knitting experience is required! You will begin by sourcing inspirational images, yarns and materials which you will translate into your knits over the duration of the course.