Documentary Photography Online Short Course
Documentary photography plays an important role when it comes to capturing socio-political situations, every-day life, people or different parts of the world. Unlike photojournalists who focus on breaking news, documentary photographers work for an extended period of time on a single topic to create in-depth stories that engage with the public in exhibitions, magazines, newspapers, online or through a book.
In this course you will learn about the history of documentary photography and contemporary documentary practice, explored through the work of influential photographers. By comparing a diverse range of photographic approaches and by becoming familiar with photo shooting and editing techniques you will develop your own storytelling skills to communicate your project ideas. Throughout the course you will work on assignments and gain invaluable feedback from an award-winning photographer.
By the end of this course you will have:
- Know about the history of documentary photography
- Understand what documentary photography is today
- Use photo shooting techniques
- Use DSLR settings effectively
- Know how to develop a personal project
- Edit your own photographs
- Be aware of ethics in documentary photography
Who is Introduction to Documentary Photography Online Short Course for?
Photographers and enthusiasts with an interest in documentary photography for a personal or professional portfolio or looking to commence a career as a documentary photographer. You may be interested in developing your work for a book, editorial publications, galleries, commercial work or to record your personal travels and journeys.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring for the first session:
- notebook and pen
- History of documentary photography and contemporary documentary practice
- Documentary Photo Equipment (cameras, lenses)
- DSLR setings
- Powerful visual approaches
- Shooting techniques: composition and framing
- What makes a compelling story?
- Developing personal projects
- Ethics of Documentary Photography
Meet the Tutor:
In this online short course, you will learn different aspects of photojournalism You will develop shooting and editing techniques for effective storytelling.