Costume and Set Design for Film and Theatre Online Short Course
Join Introduction to Costume and Set Design and be introduced the process of character costume design and its role within a production for film or theatre. You will also gain an overview of the role of the set and costume designer within theatre and screen.
This hands-on project based course will ask you to respond to an exciting brief. You will learn how to extract key information from an initial concept then use it to develop costume and set designs that bring the characters and settings to life.
The course will be an opportunity for individual research and tutorial discussions. We will also set you a brief, which you’ll answer by producing a range of costume and set designs.
Who should attend
This course is ideal if you're thinking about a future in costume or set design for theatre or film and for those who are considering applying for further study in this field. It is also suitable for those who work in amateur dramatics or theatres groups.
For more information on Online Short Courses please see the below information.
You will have created a scale model supported by sketches and illustrations. You’ll leave the course with a body of work comprising costume and set design that reflects your experience of answering project briefs. Your improved portfolio will reflect your newfound ability to identify the key points from your concept and use them to bring characters and their settings to life.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain in easy to understand accessible English, if they use any special terminology we make sure they explain what it is they mean.
- New methodologies will be explained to you in a way that’s crystal clear and easy to understand.
- We even include live demonstrations of particular techniques so that you can see exactly how things should be done.
- We also offer a bunch of learning resources for you to access outside of the live lessons. This allows you to ensure you are up to date and you can practice and review the things that are important to you. Practice makes perfect after all!
Live interactive classrooms:
- We like to do things the right way, that's why all of our online classes are live, you won't find any recordings here (well apart from the recording we provide in case you miss a live session)
- Expect live interaction with your classmates from around the world, our students come from far and wide
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Discuss topics related to your course in real time via your microphone and camera or if you're not feeling brave, in the chat box
- Miss a class? Thats ok you can catch up in a recording which is available for 2 weeks after your course runs
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- However we always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are a great addition to your CV.
All our online short courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes as our face to face courses
- Lesson recordings, for review, so you never have to miss a class
- Access to the virtual learning environment with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access to the recordings of the live classroom sessions
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
- Story telling
- Story boards and mood boards
- Scale model figures
- Character development
- 3D making
- Model making
- Costume designing – sketches or collages
- Surface textures for model making and costume paintings
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Course specific materials
Please source the following materials:
- A3 sketchbook
- Set of pencils
- Small box of dressmaking pins
- Roll of masking tape
- Acrylic paint - basic set of primary colours, black and white tubes
- Other colour materials - this can be inks/paint/crayon or anything else you use
- UHU glue
- Paint palette or paper plate for mixing colours
- Magazines for inspiration (not fashion magazines please)
- Fabric samples
Meet the Tutor:
Costume and Set Design for Film and Theatre introduces the process of character costume design and its role within a production. You will also gain an overview of the role of the set and costume designer within theatre and screen.