Character Design for Beginners Online Short Course
This online course will show you how illustrators and animators create static or animated characters with distinctive and memorable personalities and looks, for use in comics, books, video games and animations. You will gain a fascinating insight into the process, covering drawing and design techniques as well as the commercial considerations involved in designing a winning character.
Each week you will develop your skills with practical assignments covering the main techniques of character design. You will learn by researching and analysing existing characters, and developing your own. You will approach drawing and creating your own character with fresh eyes, learning how to express the traits, personality and emotions of your new creation.
By the end of the course you will have;
- A broad understanding of character design principles
- Experimented with a range of techniques and drawing exercises
- Improved your skills by drawing a range of character sketches
- Created your own character and worked on character's personality and description
- Explored and designed characters from different angles
Who is Character Design for Beginners (Online Short Course) for
This course ideal is for anyone who is interested in creating and developing characters for books, comics, games or the screen. Participants should have some basic drawing skills because the assignments are practical. The course can be useful for portfolio preparation.
Why choose a CSM Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
- Brief history of character design
- Case studies: traditional and contemporary character design
- Main principles
- Anatomy and construction
- Breaking down the shapes
- Character appeal and personality
- Draw for your audience
- Character turnaround
- Posture and lines of action
- Facial expressions
- Harmony, balance and dynamism
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date version of the Google Chrome web browser
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
Please bring with you to the first session:
- HB or B pencils
- A4 photocopy paper or equivalent (at least 30 sheets per session)
- Pencil Sharpener
Meet the Tutor:
This online course is ideal for anyone interested in creating and developing characters for books, comics, games or the screen. It will introduce how illustrators create static or animated characters with distinctive personalities and looks.