Introduction to Illustration Online Short Course
Whether you are new to illustration, or have been experimenting with visual language for a while, this course will help you to create unique and beautiful work, and enhance your creativity. Central Saint Martins has a world-renowned reputation for radical practice and rich experimentation and these values are at the heart of this course. We will challenge your understanding of what illustration is, whilst you develop strong technical skills to realise your creative potential.
Who is Introduction to Illustration Online Short Course for?
The course is perfect for new textile artists, interior designers, students (fine art, textiles, or fashion) looking to bolster a portfolio, or anyone who wants to learn new illustration skills.
By the end of this course you will have:
- Challenged and deepened your understanding of what Illustration is and what it can be used to achieve
- Mastered a range of fundamental drawing techniques
- Improved and developed your own style
- Learned how to source inspiration from your surroundings to create compelling pieces
- Produced a range of pieces for your portfolio
- Experimented with typeface and learned how to integrate text into your designs
- Used your designs to communicate emotions
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online Course Requirements
To access the Online Content, please ensure you have;
- A Computer or Laptop, (tablets can be used but some content will be limited)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- A recent operating system (we recommend Google Chrome or Firefox)
- Good Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Requirements
To complete the course, please you should have the following equipment;
- Pencils - HB to 8B
- Coloured Pencils
- Coloured Ink
- Gouache paint
- Acrylic paints
- A4 - A3 size sketchbook
- Watercolour sketchbook/Paper
- Designing and illustrating a book cover
- Sketching and illustration for reportage
- Figure drawing and character design
- Colour Theory
- Sketching from Life
- Illustrating for Food and Packaging
- Illustrating for an article
- Experimenting with sketching techniques
Meet the Tutor:
This online short course provides valuable insight into illustration. You will cover key elements such as drawing techniques, developing your own style and producing a portfolio.