Fashion Styling Online Short Course
This Fashion Styling course will introduce you to the wonderful world of the fashion image while providing you with the knowledge and skills necessary for you to create your own.
You’ll learn about trends in contemporary fashion editorial styling, the day to day life of the fashion stylist and how this role has evolved in this ever-changing landscape.
Through this program, you’ll gain an understanding of the skills used by fashion stylists to find inspiration, research a story and answer commercial and creative briefs. The course covers everything from conceptual research to storyboarding and executing the story on set.
The course is highly practical, and each week you will meet online with your tutor and a small group of students, for discussions and presentations, and learn new skills and receive feedback on your assignment work. By the end of the course you will grasp how to create your own professional fashion imagery for a range of contemporary clients.
This course is taught by a freelance stylist, who’s brimming with insider knowledge and practical tips on how to navigate this fast-paced industry.
By the end of the course you will have;
- Gained a great understanding of the role of the fashion stylist in contemporary media
- Leaned how to pitch a fashion story to commissioning editors and how to tailor your proposals depending on the publication
- Widened your knowledge of key industry professionals
- Grasped the importance of trends, how to spot them and integrate them into your work
- Discovered different forms of inspiration and the ways to interpret them
- Gained insight into the importance of collaboration and the role of the fashion stylist within the on-set team
- Completed a range of industry style fashion styling briefs
- Gained an in-depth understanding of the planning and strategy involved in creating fashion campaigns and editorial stories. From conception, inspiration to carrying out on-site shoots.
- Received insider tips and tricks from an industry expert alongside personal feedback on your weekly assignments from your tutor
Who is Fashion Styling Online Short Course for?
This is an excellent program for individuals eager to learn about the creative world of fashion styling and how to navigate the industry. Perfect for anyone keen to begin their career as a fashion stylist or for photographers, editors, marketers or visual merchandisers desiring to widen their skill set.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Paper and pen to take notes during live sessions
- The History of the fashion stylist
- Where is styling used? Fashion, film and beyond
- What makes a great fashion image? An introduction to the key stylists, photographers, and publications of today
- Where you can find inspiration and how to interpret references
- How fashion brands communicate their brand identity and messages through styling
- The importance of the team and how to build connections
- How to communicate with your commissioners and collaborators (Photographers, Editors, PRs, Model Agencies…)
- What’s in my bag? The fashion stylist’s essentials
- Trends: What are they, how do we spot them, and can we predict them?
- Best industry practice: how to pitch contemporary editorial concepts
- A practical guide to working as a freelance stylist - lights camera action
- Writing a CV, networking and the importance of work experience
- How and build a styling portfolio in the digital era
Meet the Tutor:
This online short course will help you gain insight into the exciting world of fashion styling, covering everything from contemporary fashion media to the fashion image. You will develop the skills to respond to commercial and creative briefs.