Hand-Sewing for Couture and Bespoke Fashion Short Course
If you are looking for work in couture fashion, bridal-wear, millinery, bespoke tailoring or theatre costume production, perfect hand sewing skills are essential.
Starting with a simple running stitch and working on a series of projects designed to help students perfect their skills and build up speed, this beginners course will focus on creating a reference book of hand sewn samples to add to a portfolio of work.
Stitches taught on this course include:
- Even basting, irregular basting and diagonal basting
- Back stitch, stab stitch, prick stitch and saddle stitch
- Chain stitch, blanket stitch and buttonhole stitch
- Herringbone and slip stitch
- Overcast and whip stitch
- Tailor tacks and thread marks
Finished samples will include:
- A stitch chart
- A blind hem, bound hem and rolled hem
- Shirt buttons and other fasteners
- Covered button
- Hand stitched zipper
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
- How to present stitch samples
- Make a pin cushion
- Make a miniature petticoat; standard UK size 12 reduced to ¼ scale
- Hand-neaten seams
- Prepare and stitch tucks, pin tucks and shell tucks
- Thread elastic through a waistband
- Transfer dart positions from pattern to fabric
Please bring to the first session:
- Notebook and pencil
- Pair of small sharp scissors
- Selection of household needles
- Spool of white thread
Meet the Tutor:
No previous experience is needed for this course which will also interest anyone who can already sew and would like to develop their skills further. Students will leave with a range of hand stitching skills, an insight into what they are used for and the confidence to teach themselves more.