Womenswear Pattern Cutting Intensive Short Course
This womenswear pattern cutting course has been designed as a great first step towards setting up your own business or a career as a professional pattern cutter. Youll start with an introduction to the industry standard size 12 block and be taken step by step through the core skills of pattern reading and style interpretation. Youll then move on to use this knowledge to alter different parts of the pattern pieces, practicing many variations of styles over an extended period of study whilst under the guidance of a specialist.
Youll learn how to move darts to change the look of a garment as well as creating ease or a tighter fit. Youll also be shown how to create varying silhouettes and how to adapt patterns for different types of daywear fabrics. Your tutor will give you technical advice on laying out pattern pieces when cutting fabric and elements of garment construction such as seam allowances and fastenings.
Through this process of development you will be able to interpret fashion designs and illustrations of daywear and eveningwear garments into your own patterns. Youll leave the course with a comprehensive file of pattern samples in both paper and fabric.
This course covers all content included in Introduction to womenswear pattern cutting alongside more advanced techniques.
This course will include pattern work for the following:
Its worth noting that this course does not cover tailoring or working with jersey.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older.
Your course place is confirmed once you have booked online or via the phone using a credit or debit card. There is no deadline for booking. Places are offered on a first come, first served basis, and all courses have a maximum number of students. We suggest you book early to avoid disappointment.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
Your tutor will outline the course agenda in detail on day one of your course.
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please bring the following materials/equipment to the first class:
- Stiletto awl
- Pattern master
- Metric tape measure
- 3/4 H pencils
- Magic scotch tape
- Glue stick
- Fine pointed tracing wheel
- Fine steel pins
- Fabric shears
- Paper shears
- Felt tip pen (or magic marker)
Meet the Tutor:
Womenswear Pattern Cutting Intensive is an in-depth course designed as a great first step towards setting up your own business or a career as a professional pattern cutter.