Sustainable Fashion Design Online Short Course
Sustainable fashion has become an integral part of the fashion industry, whether you are practicing in the mainstream or the emerging market. Instead of being seen as a challenge for fashion designers and product developers, it's now viewed as an opportunity for brands to differentiate themselves from the competition. It requires more than a surface understanding of the issues and the responses to be able to make informed decisions based on social and environmental impacts. This course provides an overview of sustainable fashion design practices, with examples of how designers can incorporate them into their work.
The course will review the impacts of the mainstream fashion industry, as well as explore strategies to incorporate sustainable design concepts, conscious material choices and strategies for cyclability. Each week we will explore a specific aspect of the industry, and assign a task in response. The following week we will discuss your work with feedback from the tutor as well as your peers.
By the end of the course you will:
- Gain an understanding of the major environmental and human impacts of the mainstream fashion system
- Learn about sustainable design responses to those impacts
- Build a material knowledge that will enable you to make smarter material choices
- Understand the various cyclability and circularity strategies
- Learn strategies to create systemic change through design thinking and processes for a more sustainable fashion industry
- Address the ethics of cultural appropriation, diversity, and ideals of beauty in fashion
- Through small manageable projects gain hands on experience of the issues
Who is Sustainable Fashion Design (Online Short Course) for
This course is for fashion designers, fashion students and fashion enthusiasts who simply want to gain a greater understanding of sustainable fashion design.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please have the following materials/equipment for the first class:
- Notepad and pen
- The main impacts of mainstream fashion production and consumption
- Alternative strategies for sustainable fashion
- Material impacts
- Circularity and cyclability
- Design strategies
- Ethical issues
Meet the Tutor:
Sustainability is now a mainstream issue in fashion, and this course will orient you to problems and solutions, in fashion design, supply chain, materials, and product life cycles.