Menswear Design Online Short Course
This course is an essential introduction to menswear design, for anyone wanting to design for this exciting and growing market. More and more men want to break away from conventional and formal looks, and express their personalities through the clothes they wear. This is creating demand for creative designs, whilst good fit with clever details and comfortable and stylish fabrics will always make a strong foundation for a menswear collection.
During this course, you will develop your own comprehensive menswear project, creating a range of designs. We will look at case studies of key players on the international scene in order to see how they put their ranges together. Then each week we will explore themes, choices of print and material, use of colour, silhouettes and manufacturing details so you can create and develop your own mood boards, colour palettes, flat drawings and illustrations.
By the end of the course you will have:
- Developed your understanding of the menswear industry
- Communicated your design ideas back to the group, and received feedback
- Learnt how to illustrate your designs using industry-relevant techniques
- Drafted a complete collection of your own menswear designs
- Produced work that can contribute to a portfolio that can be used to enter industry or for further study
Who is Menswear Design (Online) for?
The course will provide an excellent introduction to Menswear design whether you have previous Fashion Design experience or are a complete beginner. The course will put you in an excellent position to further your studies, explore career options within Menswear, and to gain a better understanding of the Fashion Design industry as a whole.
Please Note: This course is for students aged 18 and over
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain in easy to understand accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Students will gain access to learning resources outside of the live lessons to ensure they can practice and review what has been taught.
Live interactive classrooms:
- Expect live interaction with your classmates from around the world, our students come from far and wide.
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time.
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments.
- Miss a class? Thats ok you can catch up in a recording which is available for 2 weeks after your course runs.
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it.
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- However we always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience.
- Certificates are a great addition to your CV.
All our online short courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors.
- The same course content and learning outcomes as our face to face courses.
- Lesson recordings for review 2 weeks after the course so you never have to miss a class.
- Access to the virtual learning environment with course content.
- Forums for support.
- Key players and trends in the menswear market
- Moodboards and colour palettes
- Design details
- Research into materials, prints, and silhouettes
- Producing flat drawings from templates
- Drafting a collection
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please have the following materials/equipment for the first class:
- Notepad and pen
- Fashion, photography, interior design etc. magazines to be used to create moodboards
- Small cuttings of solid colour fabrics or yarns to create colour palettes
- Art materials that you feel confident drawing and colouring-up designs and silhouettes with (pencils, felt-tips, pantone markers, water-colours etc.)
As the course is online, you will also need to following basic computer equipment:
- A recent computer with a recent operating system
- An up-to-date web browser. (It would be advisable to ensure you have access to two separate web browsers eg Safari and Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome and Internet Explorer)
- Microphone (a headset with microphone/headphones is recommended)
Finally, a good broadband connection is also recommended. (Mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle might not provide sufficient bandwidth).
Meet the Tutor:
This course is an essential introduction to menswear design, for anyone wanting to design for this exciting and growing market.