Fashion Design for 16 to 18 Year Olds Online Short Course
This course is for young people who love Fashion Design and would like to know more! This taster course is specifically designed with the beginner in mind and will guide you through basic introductory design processes for Fashion Design. Students will work from a live brief through creative research investigations to generate and develop ideas for fashion. The course is project based and encourages independent development of ideas, experimentation and creative approaches to Fashion Design and Fashion Illustration, which underpin and define the spirit of fashion study at Central Saints Martins. Students will be introduced to the fundamentals of Fashion Design study through: Research, Documentation of ideas with sketchbooks, basic Fashion Illustration, Development, Design Presentation, and Portfolio preparation for further study at FE or HE level.
This online course, provides an edited introduction to Fashion Design, complementing the physical studio based 5-day Fashion Design for 16 to 18 years olds Summer School, Easter, Weekend and Christmas courses.
Each class will introduce students to basic techniques and approaches to the development and visualisation of design ideas for fashion. Students will complete daily tasks, building a body of work that can contribute to portfolio building and preparation for further study. They will learn about fundamental techniques for Fashion design and methodologies used within industry, further and higher education.
The interactive on-line course environment will grow day by day as the tutor provides expert teaching and commentary on the subject in a virtual classroom accessible 24/7, encouraging the students to engage during the lesson and through group critiques of their work with others. A discussion area and a range of easily accessible resources, including recordings of previous lessons, will support the students’ learning journey.
The course has been developed as an introduction to the skills required for further study in Fashion Design, via tailored online presentations and tutorials. Whether you consider yourself a complete beginner or if you are studying art, design or fashion at school, this course will give you an experience of fashion as it is taught at Central Saint Martins.
As a part of the online classroom environment, students will receive daily online presentations, live demonstrations, interactive tasks, and individually focused group tutorial’s. You will develop your confidence while experimenting with design, working on idea generation and focusing on creativity while also developing your technical skills through tutor-led online sessions.
Who should take this course?
- Teenagers interested in studying fashion design
- Those keen to learn more about Central Saint Martin's approach to fashion design.
- Students wanting to create and/or improve a fashion sketchbook/portfolio.
For more information on Online Short Courses please see the below information.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
- Experimental idea development for the body.
- Digital Research methodologies and sketchbook techniques for fashion
- Basic introduction to Fashion Illustration
- Live project brief
- Consolidation and development of research ideas to inform original ‘mini’ fashion collection
- Online group critiques
- Presentation methodologies
- Portfolio and application advice for further study
Materials Needed for the course:
- A3 Sketch pad / Drawing pad
- A4 or A3 hard backed sketchbook
- Drawing Kit - Pencils, and Colour Pencils
- Colour - This can be a felt tip or marker pens, Conte or charcoal, pens, acrylic or gouache paints etc.
- Eraser and Pencil Sharpener
- Pritt Stick or Glue Stick
- Selection of Magazines (fashion, interiors, home decoration). These do not have to be NEW and will be used for cutting up and collage.
Prior to the start of your course, please ensure you have:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection, we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Meet the Tutor:
This course is for young people who love Fashion Design and would like to know more! This taster course is specifically designed with the beginner in mind and will guide you through basic introductory design processes for Fashion Design.