Fashion Design and Draping Workshops for 16 to 18 Year Olds Short Course
Developing your confidence in experimentation, idea generation and creativity will be important activities alongside building your technical skills to help inform you how to become a fashion designer.
The course includes a specially designed educational day out in London that feeds into your course work back in the studio.
The last Friday afternoon of the course will include a display of your finished design ideas, illustrations and sketchbook, with feedback from your tutor on how to use the work within your portfolios.
This popular course is ideal if you are considering fashion or textiles as a future career, or if you wish to try something new and have a passion for fashion and the fashion industry. Upon completion you will have new skills to help you continue designing your own collections, illustrating, documenting your research and thought processes, putting together marketing boards and more. You will explore the process very much in the spirit of Central Saint Martins, where your own personal and explorative approach will be celebrated.
This promises to be an exciting and unique experience for any 16-18 year-old who is:
- Interested in developing their own creativity
- Building a portfolio for future studies
- Confident in learning from their mistakes
- Keen to work with students of different nationalities
- Willing to work and collaborate with others during projects
- A good insight in Fashion BA degree at Central Saint Martins
Fashion Design and Draping for 16 to 18 Year Olds is a stand-alone course but also dovetails with the Fashion Styling and Making for 16 to 18 Year Olds to make a complete 4-week Fashion Summer School course that will really meet the needs of aspiring fashion students.
Need help with accommodation in London this summer? Visit our accommodation section
Please note: This course is for students aged 16 to 18 years old only
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
This course is scheduled to run on campus in a face to face delivery format. Please note that due to the ongoing pandemic situation this course may be adapted in line with UK government guidance or other operational requirements. This may include changing course location (to another UAL site), cancellation of the course, or moving part or all of the course online. In the event of any changes being required we will inform you as soon as possible and support you in any changes required. Please bear this in mind when making any travel, visa, or accommodation arrangements.
Subjects will include:
- Learning about different careers in fashion
- Guest speakers from the fashion industry
- Research and idea generation
- Developing a fashion sketchbook
- Designing a fashion collection
- Fashion illustration
- Working in 3D - silhouettes and draping
- Presentation skills
- Day out in London
Please bring with you to the first session:
- Cutting knife
- Glue/Pritt stick
- Ruler or set square
- Tape measure
- Mixed drawing materials: colour pencils, pastels, markers, colour pens
Meet the Tutor:
Whether you consider yourself a complete beginner or if you are studying art, design or fashion at school, this fashion summer school course will give you an experience of fashion as taught at Central Saint Martins.