Store Layout and Visual Merchandising Online Short Course
This online course will teach you advanced visual merchandising skills. Focusing on store design and types of layout, you will consider product positioning, customer flow, link selling, hot spots and more - ideal if you have overall responsibility for large or small retail spaces.
This is a practical course where you will get the opportunity to create your own visual merchandising floor plan and develop your designs through the medium of your choice (students in the past have used Photoshop, Illustrator, 3D models and sketching).
You will learn through live class discussions, tutor Q&As, practical tasks and analysing case studies of a range of retail outlets. You will primarily explore fashion and homeware brands, but the skills you learn are transferable to any retail setting.
There is no question that visual merchandising optimisation can increase retail sales and improve the customer experience. This course will teach you how to do this yourself, and could lead to an exciting career as a senior visual merchandiser.
By the end of the course you will be able to;
- Build and create your own retail designs
- Create visual merchandising planograms
- Create a customer profile using the image of a brand
- Understand of customer flow
Who is Store Layout and Visual Merchandising Online Short Course for?
This course is for anyone with an interest in visual merchandising and branding. Perhaps you already work in fashion or retail and would like to specialise, or maybe you want to put your creativity to the test while simultaneously considering commercial outcomes as a professional visual merchandiser does.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please have the following materials/equipment for the first class:
- Notepad and pen
- A recent computer with a recent operating system
- An up-to-date web browser. (It would be advisable to ensure you
- have access to two separate web browsers eg Safari and Mozilla
- Firefox or Google Chrome and Internet Explorer)
- Microphone (a headset with microphone/headphones is recommended)
Finally, a good broadband connection is also recommended. (Mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle might not provide sufficient bandwidth).
- The job role of a visual merchandiser
- The psychology behind the customer’s shopping experience
- The importance of link selling
- Product presentation methods
- Customer flow and the importance of store layout
- Creating a strong brand image with visual merchandising in store
- Creating a customer profile
- Creating planograms
- Principles used to create Pop Up Stores
- Display theory
- Visual merchandising trends
- Creating hot spots and promotional spaces
- Building and creating your own retail designs
Meet the Tutor:
This online course provides important insight into visual merchandising and store design. You will focus on floor plans, customer flow and product presentation methods.